Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium for a Vinyl liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium for a Vinyl liner?

Being the nerd that I am, I read all the papers I'm given.
    The liner was installed on our new pool build yesterday. It is filling as I type.

I was stunned to read this on the back of the liner warranty registration
    form: "proper water balance... calcium hardness: 200 ppm minimum"

This is contrary to all I've leaned here about BBB and Water balance ... or did I miss something?

Was the liner mfr "pool stored"? Why would the maker of the liner recommend calcium?

I've attached a scan for proof
    upstate SC , 11K gal IG vinyl liner, 1HP superflo, Pentair DE filter, AE-Ti Heatpump, Aquarite SWG, Colorsplash LED,2 Bubblers, 4 Deck jets, Small interfab slide (3.5'), Coverstar opaque blue automatic cover.
    install completed 7/5/2007

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mt. Vernon, Illinois
    I may be wrong but the BBB method doesn't have anything to do with calcium, BBB is sanitation / PH
    Even using BBB method you will still need to add certain chemicals to your pool i.e. Calcium, Metal Sequesterant, Stabilizer, etc.
    The calcium prevents your liner from becoming brittle I believe.

My Pool:
    12K gal Fiberglass. Pentair DE Filter, Aqua Logic SWG, GoldLine Controls, Kreepy Krauley pool cleaner, MiniMax 250 Heater, Pentair FiberWorks Fiber optic lighting, Pentair 1 1/2HP Pump, a new shiny TF100 test kit, a clear pool and 3 happy kids

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA
    Always follow your vinyl pool warranty recommendations, at least regarding calcium hardness, so that you do not have an issue during the warranty period (i.e. they don't have an excuse to say they won't replace your liner in case something happens during the warranty period). We do not believe calcium is needed for vinyl, but don't have scientific proof for it one way or the other. We KNOW calcium carbonate saturation is required for plaster/gunite/grout.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"