How to buy a used pump/filter?

stacy

Jun 13, 2009
S.E. Wisconsin
Hello pool people.
I've been reading (and reading and reading) here, trying to learn as much as I can to get the most out of our 18' Intex Easy set this summer.

(Yes, I ordered the good test kit. It should be here in a couple of days...)

Since we've got a lot of trees, and because we've had two (much) smaller Intex pools (more like debris-algae soups) in past years, I read a bunch of threads about keeping them debris-free. I'm now convinced that we need to upgrade the pump/filter to have any chance of winning the battle.

So then I read a whole bunch of other stuff about what kind of setup I could upgrade to and what size (3/4hp and sand is what I figure...). Then I looked at the prices :shock: and then I started checking out what I could find used on Craigslist locally. I think I have found a good candidate. It's a 1 hp Hayward pro series s180t and it's less than a year old.

(I know 1hp is more than we need for our 6500 gallons, but it's set up directly under several mature trees. I literally had no other choice. We live on a steep wooded hill and that was the sunniest spot we could afford to level with a retaining wall.)

Finally - here's the question. Is this pump okay for us? And how do I "check out" a used pump? I can't exactly test drive it, or take it to my mechanic...

Here's a link to the ad with a pic of the thing...
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/1189999133.html
The guy wants $250. I was thinking about offering him $200 for starters. I appreciate any help/advice/etc you all can offer.

stacy said:
That's good to know. Thank you.

So, why is it often heavily discounted? It it because it's a hunk of junk?
NOT at all. It's a good pump/filter combo. It's used as a 'Loss Leader".
And should I keep looking for a different one, or maybe offer him less for this?
Tha's for you to decide but personally, I would not buy a used pump and filter. You don't know what kind of condition they are in and repairs can sometimes run almost as much as a new unit.
Why are they selling it? It could have a leak in the filter body or the pump motor and seals might need replacing.

Then again, it might be perfect and they just upgraded to a bigger unit or a different kind of filter like Cart or DE.

You never know.

Hmmm. So, as I suspected, there is no way to tell if it's in good shape except hooking it up and running it. Dilemma.

I asked the guy why he was getting rid of it and here's his reply...

Pool was 18yrs old(24 foot above ground pool) and liner tore over the winter. Decided not to replace. Sand filter is two years old and pump was bought last August. Was used less than month.

I'm tempted to trust him. There must be a price that would make it worth the risk.

I did some looking at new stuff before I looked at Craigslist, and it seemed that a pump and filter would run me closer to $600 plus shipping. Yet you tell me this combo could be done for $350. Is there a "best" place to shop?

Thanks for the help btw...

Check your local pool stores, particularly the ones that sell AGPs. They will often have skidpacks (pump filter combos) like this for a good price. They are often under their house brand but these house brands are just rebranded OEM units.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.