Opening Pool With Cloudy Water

Hi There - Welcome back.... :wave:

Time for a refresher course in Pool School - start with "Recommended Levels" and "How to Shock your Pool".

1st, raise your PH
2nd, shock your pool until your FC holds overnight, your CC is .5 or less and your water is clear.
3rd, raise your CH to 220 (fiberglass pool)

Use the Pool Calculator to figure out your dosages.

Do I remember correctly you have had staining issues in the past? If So, are metals still a problem? You may want to add a sequesterant before you shock so that you don't get staining....

Hi frusrated mom , i see you met my wife thanx for all you help I should say before the summer starts , I will wait till sun goes down and then add the Bleach , will follow your recommandations hope to have a clear water soon , lots of worms in the pool from over the winter oh well its our turn to enjoy the pool. Thanx

rezasaba said:
oh ya the pump been running for 5 hours now .
hi water still a bit cloudy here are my ltest results
PH 7.1
T/A 70
CH 110
CYA 35
Temp. 78 F
my clorine level now is ZERO using the blue test kit
I tried to test for FC and CC but the powder when added to the solution does not turn pink ?? what should i do ?/ Thanx any recommandations are appriciated to bring my water to accepyable levels Thanx Reza

When the powder does not turn pink it indicates the absence of chlorine. IOW, zero chlorine!

The blue test kit is bullet-proof to let you know if you have any chlorine in your pool. You verified zero chlorine.

As reebok said, you need to shock and stay with it. If you allow the FC to drop too low, you allow the algae to grow back.

You have to keep at it w/correct shock levels until you are done shocking.

How many hours per day are you running the pump?

Are you brushing the pool daily?

Hi I brush and i noticed a bit of green on side of the pool , the other day i added 2 gallons of bleach, it took care of it . Thanx for the powder clarification .
should i add more bleach now ?
should i bring up the CY level i notice i am loosing chloride too fast
I run the pupm from 10 am to 8 pm evryday
I use Aquabot to vacume and brush the pool
how do i bring up the calcium level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rezasaba said:
Hi I brush and i noticed a bit of green on side of the pool , the other day i added 2 gallons of bleach, it took care of it . Thanx for the powder clarification .
should i add more bleach now ?
should i bring up the CY level i notice i am loosing chloride too fast
I run the pupm from 10 am to 8 pm evryday
I use Aquabot to vacume and brush the pool
how do i bring up the calcium level?

Hi there,

It doesn't sound to me that your FC is holding. Yes, add more bleach. You are losing chlorine fast because you still have live organics consuming it.

You should shock your pool today, add more bleach tonight to reach shock level, then perform an overnight FC loss test (instructions in Pool School if you don't remember).

Continue shocking until your FC is holding overnight. Once it does, then you can raise the CYA level to 50. Finish the shock process first.

You can get calcium increaser at the pool store. You want it at minimum to be 220.

The Chlorine level holds for a couple of days , its been raining here alot for the past 2 months , I think the CY level is too low (30+ ), so I did add some acid to bring it up But I wont know what the level is till i test it again, it said to wait 4 -5 days before testing for cy. I also added the Baking Soda 10Lbs , on Wed. I will add the Borax and then On Thursday I will do a set of tests and let ya know , Thanx again frustratedmom

if CY is CYA then 30+ is fine. if you go over 50 you're asking for a pool that's a bit harder to take care of. you added CYA right? usually acid refers to muriatic acid as opposed to cyanuric acid. how much did you add?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.