Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical Test Results Want advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical Test Results Want advice

The pool is beautiful. The water is perfectly clear. All the chlorine has been free for a long time now.
    Chlorine .5 (I'll add some liquid tonight)
    CYA 40
    TA 60
    PH 7.4

I'm never really sure when to start adjusting on TA and PH so I usually just post results here. You folks have never let me down. I have no complaints. Thanks to this site I am able to keep the water nice with very little effort or expense.
    37000 gallon inground vinyl
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter
    3/4 booster with polaris 260

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical Test Results Want advice

If you are using bleach I would leave pH and TA alone right now. Keep an eye on them, however.

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

One rule of thumb is, if the pH isn't moving too fast, the TA is where it should be.
    If pH is moving up quickly, TA is too high. If pH is moving down quickly (or maybe at all, it seems that pH dropping is unusual) TA is too low.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Do not wait to add chlorine until tonight.

.5 is too low, and you are putting your pool at risk for algae. With your CYA level, you should never let your FC get below 3. If it is getting that low now- you aren't adding enough each evening. Refer to the CYA chart - you target 5 in the evening and that should leave you with enough in reserve so that by the next evening your level is at 3 - and so on. If you let the FC go below 3, algae can take hold and you will see a high increase in chlorine demand before you actually see green water....

So each night test, note the level and then add enough to reach a target of 5 or 6. Your minimum of 3 is the lowest you want to ever want to go.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner