Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ooops! Turned off pump without turning off heater!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ooops! Turned off pump without turning off heater!

Accidentally turned off the pump while the heater was running, and like a good little machine the heater turned itself off. But now, I can't figure out how to get it started again. I've re-lit the pilot light, but I'm pretty sure I tripped some safety mechanism that I don't know how to re-set. Have been looking everywhere for some kind of reset button. I have a Teledyne Laars XE natural gas heater. Unfortunately, there is no diagram on the door to tell me which component is the safety switch that I probably tripped. I have tried backwashing the filter, but it didn't help. Any ideas?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ooops! Turned off pump without turning off heater!

I was going to delete this, but decided to leave it up in case anyone else made the same mistake. After probing around and never finding a reset switch, we tried just turning it on and turning the temperature up to max. As soon as we maxed it out, we heard a small click ... then after about 30 seconds, as we were looking around to see what it was, whoosh, the gas burners ignited. Just needed more POP, as usual!
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)