??? about Shocking w/Solar Cover

Jun 13, 2009
Hello. I'm brand new to this site today. After spending about 3 hrs on here, I think I'm beginning to understand. I have a 24 ft. above ground pool. We have been experiencing alot of algae (last year and now starting this year). The only test strips we have right now is the Color Sticks. We're most likely going to order the better kits suggested here to try the BBB. Today I've brushed the sides and bottom, added two lg gallons of Bleach (6%), I think.

What I "think" I understand is the beginning is the hardest. ? Once the pool is clear (after several gallons of bleach), all we will need to do is maintenance? I read on another post that on average I will need to add 2 cups of bleach a day. I know this will vary. But...finally my main question is can this be done w/a Solar Cover on? I know before when buying shock from our Pool Supplier they said the cover needed to remain off for 24 hrs or it will eat the bubbles off of the solar cover. The Solar Cover is very much needed to raise the temperature in our pool. We only get morning sun until apprx 1 pm.

Sorry so lengthy. I really hope this gets easier. The thought of clear water on our own (w/out the $$$ from a Pool Supplier) is an awesome thought!

Welcome to the forum.

You will need your own good quality test kit to do the testing and methods practiced here on the forum.

When you first shock the pool, you will need to have the cover off. Once the pool is crystal clear (may take a few days) then you can keep the cover on about as much as you would like.

Yeah, no bubble eating chlorine going on here! :lol:

The reason you want the cover off during shock levels is so the sunlight can rid the pool of CC's. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.