Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster pump question

I get it that the presssure cleaner will hook up to the return in the middle of my pool, therfore that will be my pressure side on the booster pump. But where does the water to the booster pump(suction side) come from?? If more than one option, which would be the best?
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Booster pump question

But where does the water to the booster pump(suction side) come from??
    From the primary pump. The booster pump "boosts" the pressure of the primary pump to operate the auto-vac.

FWIW, the suction side of your system is from the main drain/skimmers to the primary pump. Everything after the primary pump is the pressure side.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

But where does the booster pump connect into the plumbing??? I would think after the filter somewhere Before/after the SWG???????
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Immediately after the filter, before the SWG or heater or anything else.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys. That is what I wanted
    Lynn

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to clarify...

Booster pump is not an accurate term as the pump can accept unpressurized water and do the same thing.

You do want it after your filter as most cleaner pumps do not have a strainer basket.
    You never want to inject chlorine into your pump.

The reason most cleaner pumps connect to the pressure side right after the filter is because they are typically NOT self priming pumps and what is actually happening is that the main pool pump pressure is priming the cleaner pump for you.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.