Can't Keep FC

Jun 12, 2009
I have just bought an Intex 15' x 42" above ground metal pool. I have shocked it twice and took a water sample to Leslie's Pool Supply and was told everything was fine except I had no chlorine and they told me to buy a floating chlorinator. I punched out 2 of the bottom holes on each side and added 7 of the 1" inch tablets like they said and 5 hours later I am still getting a zero reading when I test it with the strips. How long does it usually take for the chlorine to set in the pool? I am also in very hot Houston Texas but my water temp is cool.

Thanks for posting numbers.

Your CYA level is very low, which means that sunlight will wipe out most of your chlorine as quickly as it can be added to the pool as long as the sun is shining on the pool. The floating chlorinators slowly add CYA to the water along with chlorine, so this will correct it's self eventually. Many people raise CYA to about 25 or 30 when they first setup the pool, so that it is easier to maintain a chlorine level. The floating chlorinators will do it on their own eventually, but there could be (only sometimes) a period where you don't really have enough chlorine and might have problems.

We are not very fond of floating chlorinators around here, because eventually they end up adding too much CYA and your chlorine becomes progressively less effective. This takes quite a while, so there is no rush to do anything about it right now. You might want to read up in Pool School, see the link near the top right over every page, and think about what you want to do long term.

I was reading alot about the SWGs and keep going back and forth about buying one. After reading about it in Pool School I will have to convine my husband it's in our best interest. Until then, liquid chlorine is my best option. How much do you recommend we put in our pool being it's only a 4500 gallon pool and do we put in directly in?

You want to test your current FC level, and then add enough chlorine to raise your FC level up to the target FC level for your CYA level. Amounts can be calculated using my Pool Calculator. All of this is covered in more detail at Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.