should I gamble? question for the pool pros..on old plmbng

May 30, 2009
Hey all,

I just figured out from this board, that the second (plugged up) hole in the bottom of my skimmer, that I had been wondering about for 2 years now, is what most likely leads to my (also plugged up) main drain. Once my pool is swimmable (it's way too cold now), should I take a risk and unplug these valves? These valves have been plugged since I bought my house 2 years ago, so I am kind of suspecting they were plugged due to a leaky main drain, but I really have no way of knowing...my third (deep end) return is also plugged up...that one didn't work when I tried unplugging it last year..so whatever...but main drain would really help with circulation? Would anyone have plugged the main drain for any other reason other than a leak?

pool pros, what do you think...should I try to uplug the main drain and the second hole in my skimmer???? Or just leave well enough alone.

thanks

To eliminate a leak in the main drain plumbing, you have to plug both ends which could be the situation. Next trip down to the bottom of the pool, you might check to see if there is a plug in that end as well.

Otherwise, you could always remove the plug in the skimmer and see if you can't force water through the main drain with a hose and a rag to seal the pipe (or a Drain King). If the water backs up into the skimer or doesn't come out of the main drain, then it is likely that the either the pipe is plugged or there is a plug in the main drain itself.

mas985 said:
there is a plug in the main drain itself.

Mas. That is correct. there is a plug in the main drain as well. I was just wondering if it is worth the risk to remove it...or if it is most likely that a previous owner plugged it up to stop a leak,..so you probably answered my question, it may have been a leak stopping cap, unless there would be another reason to plug a main drain up?

Also...there is a cap of some sort under pressure a foot or so next to the main drain...it is a slightly raised flat cap..and last year when i tried pulling gently on it...it seemed to have a strong suction...is this possibly used for draining the pool for relieving high water table pressure ( I do live in a high water table area)? Maybe to allow for the ground water to come up, so the pool will not pop out of the ground??? Just a guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.