green pool at start-up

May 1, 2008
I am back with the green monster! I have made all the right moves and tests and the water stays cloudy green. I have gone through my inheritence in the form of chemicals. The pool does not maintain chlorine over night. What am I missing? The pool is located in Connecticut, 50,000 gallons, yes 50k cement kidney shape with a large DE filter. I have backwashed 3 times and refilled the DE each time. Current reading is PH 7.2, alk 110,hardness 190, chlorine now .5 no difference in readings for free chlorine. I added 7pounds of shock 2 times and this is the result.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Keep going. "7 pounds of shock 2 times" doesn't sound like a lot, compared to some of the stories on the forum. You need to add enough chlorine to get your FC up to shock level and maintain it there until the green is gone and the pool is sparkling again.

Please go through Pool School especially the articles on how to shock and defeating algae.

One thing you will need to know is your CYA (cyanuric acid, aka stabilizer) level, because that determines your FC shock level.

Stick with it and the pool will be beautiful.
--paulr

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. You asked for the CYA it's 50. Two more questions if you would bear with me. You said the CYA would tell you how much schock to use? How so?
Also my DE filter calls for 9 pounds of DE after a backwash. I know there is a lot of DE still left once the water runs clear. Is it required/neccessary to put in 9 pounds every time. Tomorrow will be the third backwash this season and its only early June. Thanks for your patience.

The FC level you want to use to kill algae depends on your CYA level. Higher CYA levels deactivate/buffer more of the chlorine, meaning you need higher FC levels to have the same effect. We have a Chlorine/CYA chart that shows the appropriate FC levels to use with different CYA levels.

After backwashing a DE filter, you should add 80% of the full amount of DE. You might want to read Use and Care of DE Filters.

I now have a clear clean pool!!! After starting with a chemically clean filter; backwashing it 4 times I took the filter apart; it was filled with green slime. I read the pool school method of cleaning and followed it with good results. Since my filter is big I could not fully submerge it in a large pail using dishwasher soap to clean it. Here's my crazy question: is there a way to add the soap to the filter while its in it's case without pumping it into the pool. Its a hayward filter and valve. I thought I would add the soap (or other medium) to the intake filter/screen and turn the valve to waste. Your thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.