Borates and children saftey.

mgianzero

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Southern California
Pool Size
I can tell we have a few dog lovers in this forum. I see there is a concern for dogs possibly drinking water treated with borates, but what about children?

I have a 1 year-old and a 3 year-old that love to play in the pool. I understand that borates can cause kidney toxicity with ingestion, but also possibly contact dermatitis. What's the latestest understanding about us "cutting-edge" pool owners who wish to treat our pools with borates but are concerned about small children ill effects?

The borate levels we recommend are way way below the threshold of detectable symptoms in humans, including in children. People are nowhere near as sensitive to borates as dogs and cats are. And even with dogs and cats the risk is vanishingly small.

borax is actually about as toxic as table salt. If you eat enough salt it can kill you. Even drinking large quantities of water can cause death. I would be more concerned about the chlorine and other chemials in pool water than the borates.

Reactions: Drd
Borates have zero skin absorption. So the only intake is what the kids drink.
Levels under 50 pppm are extremely safe/conservative amounts.
Levels under 100 ppm are very safe also if your kid doesn't drink gallons of pool water each day.

I don't think there is any issue. My 3 yr has no problems and I allow limited exposure for my 4 month old. Over age 1 there is little concern.
Keep in mind the treatment for kidney toxicity is lots of hydration. So drink lots of water and enjoy your pool.

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the thoroughness with your answers. I am a physician (anesthesiologist) and so I am aware of possible toxic effects of chemicals on the body. So I always consider all the ramifications of pool safety (especially chemicals) with children.

Guess I can continue with converting my pool to a borate treated pool with confidence!

Thanks again -

Marc

Marc,

Just FYI. I got most of my info for boric acid toxicity from this link and is how I figured it would be better for dogs not to drink from the pool regularly (you can also see this post for more info on that). As noted by others above, the risks for even small children are very low. Of course, if you've got a child drinking regularly from pool water (not just a gulp now and then, but serious drinking), then you've got other issues to deal with.

Richard

Reactions: Drd
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.