Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates and children saftey.

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates and children saftey.

I can tell we have a few dog lovers in this forum. I see there is a concern for dogs possibly drinking water treated with borates, but what about children?

I have a 1 year-old and a 3 year-old that love to play in the pool. I understand that borates can cause kidney toxicity with ingestion, but also possibly contact dermatitis. What's the latestest understanding about us "cutting-edge" pool owners who wish to treat our pools with borates but are concerned about small children ill effects?
    20,000 in-ground pebble-coat pool with 60sf Jandy DE filter, Pentair Variable-Flow pump, Goldline Aquarite SWG, Dolphin Premiere robot, passive solar heating.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates and children saftey.

The borate levels we recommend are way way below the threshold of detectable symptoms in humans, including in children. People are nowhere near as sensitive to borates as dogs and cats are. And even with dogs and cats the risk is vanishingly small.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet for Borax:

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/mater ... -borax.pdf

I think you'd have to ingest a large amount to see any ill effects? Also, it's very diluted in the pool so don't think it should be a problem.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

4. Back To Top    #4

borax is actually about as toxic as table salt. If you eat enough salt it can kill you. Even drinking large quantities of water can cause death. I would be more concerned about the chlorine and other chemials in pool water than the borates.

5. Back To Top    #5

Borates have zero skin absorption. So the only intake is what the kids drink.
    Levels under 50 pppm are extremely safe/conservative amounts.
    Levels under 100 ppm are very safe also if your kid doesn't drink gallons of pool water each day.

I don't think there is any issue. My 3 yr has no problems and I allow limited exposure for my 4 month old. Over age 1 there is little concern.
    Keep in mind the treatment for kidney toxicity is lots of hydration. So drink lots of water and enjoy your pool.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the thoroughness with your answers. I am a physician (anesthesiologist) and so I am aware of possible toxic effects of chemicals on the body. So I always consider all the ramifications of pool safety (especially chemicals) with children.

Guess I can continue with converting my pool to a borate treated pool with confidence!

Thanks again -

Marc
    20,000 in-ground pebble-coat pool with 60sf Jandy DE filter, Pentair Variable-Flow pump, Goldline Aquarite SWG, Dolphin Premiere robot, passive solar heating.

7. Back To Top    #7

Marc,

Just FYI. I got most of my info for boric acid toxicity from this link and is how I figured it would be better for dogs not to drink from the pool regularly (you can also see this post for more info on that). As noted by others above, the risks for even small children are very low. Of course, if you've got a child drinking regularly from pool water (not just a gulp now and then, but serious drinking), then you've got other issues to deal with.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

would love to hear any intubation tips/tricks/techniques. reebokhcfr @ gmail.com
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys.