some questions about being a new pool owner and starting bbb

Jun 11, 2009
i was given an intex metal pool 15 feet 4 feet deep has been nothing but heck.had water delvered twice and had to drain it because pool was uneven,third time was the charm and pool is even to save money used my well water MISTAKE hit it with chlorine and now its brown i have been filtering non stop and used metal out today pool lady said will take 24 hrs and might need more,i will know in the am.now if it works how much bleach should i start with and how long after metal out.also i have a floatie thing that holds cholorine tabs can i put that in the pool with the bleach?the borax and arm and hammer same questions above how much and safety with floatie thing.also any other hints ect oh yeah my little test kit will it work for the bleach and borax.please any help will be appreciated i never thought having a pool would be so hard,with all the bad luck im having next thing the pool will cave in lol thanks traci

Welcome to TFP

The first thing you need to do is test your water. The only things you can be sure of needing without a test are chlorine and CYA. I wouldn't count on the floater for much help. They don't deliver chlorine fast enough to keep up with demand.

Thank you I will go today when they open and post the results also since using the metalmagnet alot of brown rusty debris is going to the bottom and I have to vacuum it out.problem is I have to use the hose vacuum intex pumps don't have an intachment so won't that keep blowing iron back into the pool so I will keep getting brown water do you think I put a sock or a stocking over the hose like put over the skimmer to catch the rust particles or whatever they are iron particles would that catch the iron before blowing into the water or are they to small before the metalmagnet is placed in. I'm sorry for being a pain but I'm am so confused and if not for my 12yr old daughter really excited about having a pool I think I would of gave up thank you again traci
This sight is great

You need to ideally, figure out a way to vacume the particles out of the water, bypassing the filter or "vacuming to waste".

Also, you won't necessarily need baking soda or borax, we need to see your water test results first. Sometimes the fill water is okay on PH and TA and they don't need adjusting at all.

Welcome to TFP!

First thing, take a deep breath! We are here to help you!
Second thing, click on the pool school link in the upper corner of every page.
Read EVERYTHING there.
Read it all a second time.
When you are done, post questions about anything you understand. Once you have the basics of pool school under your belt you will find that it's all a LOT easier than you think! :goodjob:

hello,I took the water to the pool place they said everything was in normal limits just doesn't have chlorine. They gave me another botttle of metal magnet and said to use that filter filter filter and vacuum then to start to add cholrine tommorrow night.can I start with clorox instead if so how much and how often also should I put the floatie with the chlorine tab in it will that be dangerous thanks traci

Use bleach to get your chlorine level up fast. Also you need stabilizer aka cyanuric acid to protect the chlorine from the sun. Tabs have both chlorine and stabilizer but not much all at once, and you need a bunch all at once.
--paulr

Hello,I finally I think got all the iron out now pool is a sea green I have some water results so here they are stabilizer very low 0 /total alkalinity low 40/ ph low 6.8/bromine ok 2/free chlorine ok 1/ total chlorine ok 1/total hardness high 250 I hope this helps I'm not sure what to do now thanks traci

vettechgirl said:
Hello,I finally I think got all the iron out now pool is a sea green I have some water results so here they are stabilizer very low 0 /total alkalinity low 40/ ph low 6.8/bromine ok 2/free chlorine ok 1/ total chlorine ok 1/total hardness high 250 I hope this helps I'm not sure what to do now thanks traci

Ignore references to bromine, because you have a chlorine pool.

You need to raise your PH up to 7.2 and also your TA, both are too low. For the PH/TA you will probably need a combination of borax or Soda ash for the PH and baking soda for the TA. You need to add CYA (stabilizer) to your water to protect your chlorine. And then you need to add chlorine daily.

Use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much of each product you need.

Refer to "Recommended Levels" in Pool School.

If you have a hard time figuring out the Pool Calculator, let us know, but you need to learn how to use it for daily bleach and/or chemical additions.

How are you testing? You really need one of the recommended kits....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello I'm getting there thanks to all your help this is a great site. My readings now are from dipsticks from aquachem all I can get at this time stabilizer 0 very low (they didn't have any at Walmart when I went last night for the borax and baking soda pool store won't be open until tommorrow)total alk 120 ok/. Ph 7.2 ok/. fch 1 ok/. Tch 1 ok// total hardness 100 low. There is still a light green tint should I put alge stuff in? Also my pool Is in total sun I can't figure out how to get back to my signature so I can put that thanks again for all this help

there are no better test strips. there are the recommended kits in pool school or a never ending cycle. I've been there done that for almost 4 years before I found this site.
I don't think you'll die from it, but my guess is no one here would swim in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.