Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Motor? What should I do with it now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plano, Texas

Dead Motor? What should I do with it now?

A few months ago I replaced this dead 2 HP motor and it has been sitting in my garage ever since then.... I don't know how bad it is and the burnt wires are hard to see in the pics...

1. can anything useful be done with it? (e.g. can someone refurb or fix it)

2. if not, anything I can do with it other than just throwing it in the trash?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Motor? What should I do with it now?

there is a lot of copper in there surely it can be droped off somewhere and be recyled.
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Look up electric motor repair in your phone book. May be under starter/alternator repair. They are pretty simple to repair usually.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hillsborough, NC

Most metal recyclers only take motors (to buy) in bulk, and they fetch around $.05/lb these days. There are other recycling centers around here that will accept them. Call your local landfill and they may be able to help.

5. Back To Top    #5

Central Minnesota

Take it to your local motor repair place. If it is cheap enough to repair, you might want to consider that so you have a spare. If it is not worth repairing, then the motor repair place will take it off your hands and recycle it.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.