Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amount of chlorine produced by Aqua Plus?

1. Back To Top    #1

NW Chicago Suburb, IL

Amount of chlorine produced by Aqua Plus?

I'm trying to figure out how much chlorine my SWG produces at different percentage settings. Something like at x% with pump running 24 hrs a day it produces x amount.

With my setup, I'm only having to have it set at 5-6% and I am consistently getting readings of 3-5 for fc. From what I've read of others settings that is really a low setting.

My pool is 15,000 fiberglass and I have an auto safety cover that we keep closed when we are not swimming. So, as of right now it is not getting a whole lot of hours of sunlight per week. Is it the cover that is allowing me to run at such a low rate and still have the chlorine level be fine?

I run my pump 24 hours a day. 8 on high and 16 on low. My low has enough flow that both my heater and the SWG will still kick in.

Latest readings:
    fc 3
    tc 3
    ph 7.6
    ta 110
    ca 270
    cya 80-100
    salt 3200
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Amount of chlorine produced by Aqua Plus?

The combination of the cover and the 24 hour pump run time is the reason you can use such a lower percentage. In normal day to day operation, most of your chlorine is lost to sunlight. The cover prevents the great majority of that sunlight loss, and so dramatically reduces your chlorine usage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School