Do I need an eyeball return?

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
I have a regular, straight return with no option to move it around in any direction? Should I get a replacement, or do I not need it? I've read many times of people having to "aim" their return up or down for various reasons.

I have an 18' round AG pool with just that one return.

Wow, I came to post the exact same question.

I have one return with nothing attached. I'm afraid my skimmer is not working as well as it could since the return is near the skimmer and it looks like it pushes most of the water from the skimmer.

Thanks.

I'm currently just under the skimmer/return line of filling my pool. I have to plumb it before going any further. I don't think I can get an eyeball delivered in time for that, so I'll have to go to the local pool store. Not sure if they sell those things at a Leslie's or not.

Thanks again for both replies. Maybe I should try and avoid your issues, rastoma. I hear people turning the eyeball for aeration and other things, so it may be best to wait and get it now. Good luck.

aimable eyeballs do help. I've got two returns and have both returns pointed to the right and down (my skimmer is to the left of the returns). Makes all of the debris in the bottom of the pool end up in the middle for easier cleaning, and also helps the skimmer skim more effectively by having the water rotate by it. Just my .02.

Boy do I feel stupid. I called the company where I bought the pool to ask what size eyeball I need. Long story short.... I have one installed there already. oops.

So, should I point it down and away from the skimmer to make the water go in a circular motion? If I need to aerate, just point it up? The gentleman on the phone said not to turn it until I loosened the locknut (or plate or washer that holds it together??) first. Do I have to do this every time I turn it a different direction?

Depends on how tightly the faceplate is screwed down. It uses a friction between the eyeball and the faceplate to keep the eyeball pointed where you want it. The faceplate should be threaded on, so it's no biggie to loosen it slightly and then retighten after re-aiming your eyeball.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.