Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine & biofilms

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

chlorine & biofilms

I thought of a question today while brushing my pool: If I keep my FC level at or above the min for my CYA concentration, is that enough to keep any biofilms from forming in my pool, or is regular brushing necessary to disrupt any biofilm from forming?

20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: chlorine & biofilms

I don't know about biofilm (what is that?) but regular brushing is needed to prevent algae.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: chlorine & biofilms

Biofilm is a colony of bacteria that is attached to a surface and has secreted chemical substances to the outer surface of the outer cells to make them more resistant to chemical attack. Usually such substances have a slimy feel.

Keeping the chlorine at a proper level will help prevent biofilm formation by killing bacteria before they are able to reproduce and secrete the substances that make them more resistant to chlorine. Nevertheless, brushing helps as well, especially for surfaces that are pocked so could result in very localized low-chlorine levels or in areas of the pool where circulation is poor.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"