steps

mtw

Jun 2, 2009
hello,
can i get some opinions on above ground steps. i currently have (until sunday) wedding cake steps ,im getting rid of them b/c i dont like the way they sit in the pool and the treads are higher on the front edge of the step and lower in the back. any opinions on what particular steps people have or what they prefer and good/ bad qualitys. i have 24 ft ag pool which will have a deck eventually and a set of 4 yr twins and an 8 yr old (just to let you know whos getting in and out most of the time)
thanks,
mike

hey mtw...I have a 24ft as well as 7yr old twins a 5yr old and a 2yr old ...but we do now have the deck...not sure if these will work with out a deck, but we have a basic Confer Step...you can see it here http://store.namcopoolstore.com/web07007.html

I put 40lbs of pool filter sand inside the stairs and two screws in the decking frame...we are very happy with them and the pride large spacing under the stair for adequate water circulation

We really like the Royal Entrance Steps very much. Work well, don't seem to have issues at all, can be heavy to move in and out but can be done easily enough with three people.

Welcome to all the Canadians :goodjob: - I am Canadian currently living in Virginia. Was in the Orillia area before and am planning to be in the Kingston area upon retirement. Wonder how the pool season is in Kingston?

Not to hijack the thread....but it's FREAKIN' COLD....high of 15 (that's 59 F for the benefit of the American Folks...)

Attachments

• Kingston Weather.jpg
    Kingston Weather.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 567
We have the Biltmore steps and like them very much. They have great flow through so no issues with algae behind or under. We use Anna's PVC weights inside to hold the front of them down very nicely.

I have found 2 problems with the royal entrance - to the point where I'm ready to get rid of them if I could only find what I need (no one seems to sell it though).
Problems:
1. They block the flow of water - so you will get a dead spot on the far side of the stairs from the return and this will cause a problem in the heat of the summer
2. They love to get algae buildup inside the stairs since they have no flow, my solution to that is to stick a minimum of 2 pucks in the stairs to over chlorinate within them.

Best bet is to also place a bath mat under the front nose or glue foam onto the underside but the foam can pick up pebbles over winter storage outside of the pool and cause problems the following year if you don't check them before putting them in as many people would forget to do. Reason for the mat is that the steps move ever so slightly when using them - and kids love to jump off the steps causing lots of motion.

I'd love to get a ladder that I can flip up out of the pool when not needed - it would free up the entire pool for the barracuda to go crazy - right now - my Barracuda seems to be in love with the stairs - Because I can't find adequate replacement steps, I think this year I'm bolting lattice to the outside of the stairs that will hang to within inches of tee floor and wall so the cuda guide ring doesn't hook under anymore. That or use the royal steps on the outside with the flip up staircase on the inside - which would allow me to flip them out completely.

i was thinking the same thing, steps that can be flipped out of the way for auto cleaner etc..
i'll have mine attached to a deck so i was thinking of trying to hinge the planks that the handrail parts would attach to , at least then i would be able to get them horizontal and then use maybe a bungy cord or rope tied to the railing to hold them up until vac was done its job? or dont use the mfg's deck mounting brackets and make your own out of pvc and have the part that attachs to the handrail (slide handrail through pc of wider diameter pvc)up high on the handrail and then you could slide the steps up. any solution has its problem, the last one wont work b/c the vac hose,doh!!!

i would think they all block flow and that the royal entrance would be easier to get in and out of pool come winter time or auto cleaner. from what i understand sand goes in top step and then you make the pvc tubes filled with cement and sit in back bottom step. the other steps where you have to fill the sides with sand seem hopeless as far as getting them out of the way on a regular basis. i dont have either step so any opinions from owners would help
mike

Well, my Royal Entrance Steps got delivered last night...Costco screwed up and delivered to the home address instead of our work address....DH found the box sitting on the driveway when we got home. The box was open too :rant: Hope everything is still in there.

It think I will enjoy our new steps and the auto cleaner isn't a problem for me. I am the pool cleaner!! I actually enjoy doing it, because it's an excuse to kick the kids out of the pool and have it all to myself for a while :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Royal already has 6 or 8 big holes on the backside - it's roto molded like a plastic kayak so it gets it's integrity through it's structure, I would hazzard to guess drilling holes large enough to provide more flow into the sides could mess with the integrity.
The Royal actually has a separate triangular piece that lifts into a central slot on the underside middle - this piece is filled with sand and provides the weight required to hold the step down so you won't need to make any weights.
Sorry about the clarity - cut it out of a pic that happened to have the pool in it -0 here's a side view of the royal and the part lying on the left is the triangular piece that lifts/drops into the underside/back.
102_1127.jpg

Have "the Royal Enterance" as well. 2nd year for us to own pool.
Of all the things we had to 'learn' about the pool ownership, getting these steps in & out was the easiest. I have the Mrs. hold the steps in place from the deck & I get in the pool with the fence (sand filled weight) and place it from there.

Whole thing takes about 5 min. Including bolting to the deck.

Didn't have any issues with 'dead space' or algae (maybe I was just lucky).

Survived the visits from all my sisters kids without fail. Everyone liked them better than ladder.

Hope you find something you're happy with.

Respectfully,
Panzer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.