Inground Umbrella Stands....

May 28, 2009
Im wanting to install a permanent in the ground (concrete!) umbrella stand is flush with the concrete when an umbrella is not in use. I have seen pictures of members pools with the stand alone umbrellas and wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where to locate something. Or if it was a DYI, how it was constructed! Thanks all!

found this at about $11 each. but they are only about 4" deep.
726642-1_9.jpg

Just use a length 1.5" PVC pipe with a cap glued on the end that goes in the ground and glue a fitting on the other end to accept a 1.5" threaded plug. Set it in concrete flush with the ground and cap when not in use.

-Brad-

I am also wondering how the umbrellas hold up on a windy day when they are open?

I've had mine come out on 2 occasions. No problems when they are closed ... in 30+ mph winds.

One other issue. We purchased umbrellas that can be tilted ... given the "play" in the inground stand, when they're tilted they tend to act like kites - turning in what ever direction the breeze is blowing. (the 1.5" pvc sleeve doesn't provide a snug fit for the umbrella pole)

Interesting that I found this post. I just poured my deck and in around the stamped concrete I placed 8 umbrella stand sleeves made from 1/5" PVC. I also got online to find plugs that can go into them when they are not being used. The plugs are tight and needed a little sanding so that they would not stick in there, but they are fantastic. I will post photos when I can, but here are the plugs I used. Best $1.53 I ever spent. :goodjob:

InsidePipePlug2.jpg

They sit flush in with the deck and have a slight convex top to them. I was surprised at how rigid they actually were - very strong.

Happy Modding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.