New convert needs assistance, please

We are new to the BBB system and would like your assistance please. We filled the pool with new water 5 days ago and replaced sand. We had major leaves from Oak trees in pool. Our current readings are:

TH-400
FC-0
PH- 8.4
TA- 180
CYA- 30-50

Have followed the pool calculator on one application of acid and PH came down to 7.8, but major wind storm filled pool with oak leaves (no rain). Once we cleaned the leaves out and ran the filter for a while, PH went back up. We have added cholrine twice, 146 oz each time and FC has not climbed up yet. Thanks for any help or suggestions, maybe I missed something when I read through Pool School and Pool Start up?

Papa's Pool
AG, Vinyl, 24 x 4ft round, 13,500 gal
1hp waterway pump with 100#Sand filter

Hello.

It seems your pH is on the rise because your TA is TOOOO high!

You can lower it by reading up on Pool School. The link can be found in my siggy. That is your job! :whip: When you're done reading it, read it again until you get it! It will help answer your questions and if you still have questions after reading, you are more than welcome to post and get help! 8)

What you basically want to do is get your pH down to 7.2 with Muriatic Acid and add air to the pool or turn your eyeball up to break the surface to bring the TA down. It will take the better part of a week or so but it's the main reason your pH is rising. It needs taken care of PRONTO! :whip:

Go Read Now! :mrgreen:

Papa,

You have a two-pronged issue - one, your TA being too high and two, the lack of chlorine. The problem is you need to shock your pool, and that means you can't effectively lower TA at the same time.

When ever the FC goes above 10, the PH will read a false-high, and it should be ignored.

There's a few things you should try - with the TA test, wipe the tip of the dropper bottle in between drops with a damp cloth, to make sure the result is accurate. When adjusting PH thru acid, make sure your FC is under 10. But because your FC isn't holding, shocking is necessary. Read How To Shock Your Pool and How to Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test in Pool School.

Good luck hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.