Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots and Lots of Baking Soda and Bleach. TA through roof

1. Back To Top    #1

Lots and Lots of Baking Soda and Bleach. TA through roof

Ok, My husband has gotten into the pool and scrubbed the walls and cleaned it, we have been cleaning the cart filter on a daily basis. We have added about 12 96 oz bottle of bleach two days in a row... and the 12lb bag of baking soda twice... all to try to clean it up a little before taking a water sample... Did that today... Oh the glorious pool store people... Of course they were in shock by our results and tried to sell me something that I "Needed" to add 3lbs every day for 17 days and it was only $18.00 for a 6lb bag... So, 18.00 every two days... nah, think not... So... Here are my numbers
    0.1 FC
    0.1 Total C
    8.1 PH
    343 TA
    65 Calcium Hardness
    0 Copper
    0 CYA

So I know I need some Stabilizer, and definitely more bleach... but to lower the TA I need muriatic acid, right? And where might I find that? Or is there a more common name for it? Any help you wonderful pool gurus can give would be so very appreciated Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots and Lots of Baking Soda and Bleach. TA through roof

Muriatic acid is found at hardware stores (Lowe's, etc.). High TA and high pH are interconnected. I'd check out the pool school articles as you start to change pH and TA:

ABCs of pool chemistry (pool-school/pool_water_chemistry)
    lowering TA (pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity).
    Nikki in IL
    18'x33'x52" AGP, 1.5hp Hayward pump, 200# Hayward sand filter, Aqua-Trol SWG
    "Intex graduate" from a 5400 gal, 18'x48" Intex quick set, crystal clear everyday (with the original Intex equip)for 3 seasons thanks to TFP and BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Nikki's a fast learner

Don't forget How to Chlorinate your Pool....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by leeotwell
    We have added about 12 96 oz bottle of bleach two days in a row... and the 12lb bag of baking soda twice...
    343 TA
    BAking soda is used to raise TA. You added 24lbs to a 5400 gal pool? That raised your TA by 317 ppm!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Why did you add baking soda without knowing your TA??

You need to get that TA down to prevent scaling on your equipment and heater (if you have one)
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB