Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test Results and Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test Results and Questions

Got my TF100 Test Kit today and here are the first results.

FC 4
    CC 0
    pH 7.3
    TA 290 (seemed high so I tested again. Second result was 330)
    CH 150
    CYA <20 (filled entire tube and could still see dot)

So . . . from what I have gathered from Pool School, I'll throw out my interpretaton.

I'm thinking I need to get the TA lower. Get pH to 7.2 then aerate. What are the penalties for high TA besides more chemicals required for pH change? The trichlor pucks will add CYA so I am probably okay with that for now.

If I'm way off base, please let me know. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Also, is it okay to dunk the cylinders with the labels on them (chlorine cylinder and the CYA bottle) in the pool or should I use the graduated cylinder to get the water and then pour it into the containers with the labels?

Thanks.

Dave
    Intex Easy Set 18' x 42" AG
    5400 gal
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 635 pump, 1500 gph
    Type "A" cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test Results and Questions

TA does seem high, but the bottles for that test often have a problem with static. Try the TA test again, but keep wiping the dropper with a damp cloth or tissue. Make sure the drops look normal size. If you're getting too-small drops then the test will be incorrectly high.

Trichlor will slowly add CYA over time; if you have a bucketfull that's one way to go. They are also somewhat acidic and will tend to keep the pH down.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF100 uses waterproof labels, so dunk away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I would comment that I use a bottle from pinch a penny to get my water, then test at a table outside. this makes it a lot easier so you're not tearing up your knees on the pool deck or getting baked in the sun. you probably already know this, but you need to get water from approx. elbow deep.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi DDave,

Sounds like you are doing your testing outside. I also collect my water sample in a bottle, but then I do my testing inside at the kitchen table.

It's much more comfortable for me and my test chems like staying inside where the air is comfy
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    TA does seem high, but the bottles for that test often have a problem with static. Try the TA test again, but keep wiping the dropper with a damp cloth or tissue. Make sure the drops look normal size. If you're getting too-small drops then the test will be incorrectly high.
    Okay, I tested TA again making sure to wipe the dropper and making sure that the drops were normal sized. Got a TA of 230 this time.

So should I try to lower it or leave it alone?

Dave
    5400 gal

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DDave
    With your numbers I get a CSI of -.22 from the pool calc, assuming a temp of 65F. Even at 85F it's still just a bit negative. So.... there's a school of thought that says, if it isn't causing trouble, it's trouble free. That is, don't try to fix the number just because it's not in the "normal" range; you should have a real reason. If the high TA causes your pH to rise so fast you're constantly putting acid in, then yeah it's worth making a point of lowering it. But if the pH rise is tolerable, just tolerate it.
    --paulr
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Quote Originally Posted by DDave
    With your numbers I get a CSI of -.22 from the pool calc, assuming a temp of 65F. Even at 85F it's still just a bit negative. So.... there's a school of thought that says, if it isn't causing trouble, it's trouble free. That is, don't try to fix the number just because it's not in the "normal" range; you should have a real reason. If the high TA causes your pH to rise so fast you're constantly putting acid in, then yeah it's worth making a point of lowering it. But if the pH rise is tolerable, just tolerate it.
    --paulr
    Actually the pH keeps going down . . . due to the trichlor I assume. So, I'll just leave it alone I guess. No need to fix it if it isn't broken.

Thanks.

Dave
    5400 gal

9. Back To Top    #9

That is likely to change when you stop using trichlor. I know my pool has a pretty stable pH and FC when I have a few tabs in the floater, but I'm adding acid every week normally.
    --paulr