New to group old pool owner/building a pool/automation advice.

175Doc

Oct 28, 2016
Tucson, Az
Good morning from Tucson, AZ!

We have owned a pool for years at our old house and getting ready to build one at the new house. Design process is done. One of the options we are passing on to keep cost down is the Pro Logic PS4 ($2100) controller (no salt) since it can be added later easily if we want. So here go the questions:

1. I have read a lot of horror stories about the PS4. Any one have input on this controller?
2. $2100 is a lot of money since I can buy one online for roughly half that and install it my self (concern here is dealing with proprietary parts and programming code). I'm pretty handy and have surrounded myself with people smarter than I.
3. I have thought about using a Raspberry Pi and some relays to achieve the same function as the PS4 for a fraction of the cost.

Thank you

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. I have a P4, no issues, what are these horror stories?
2. If you are fairly handy, the install is not bad. I DIYed mine. Understanding the manuals is a little tricky, but the programming is not bad.
3. Out of my league, but some members have done it I think. As you start thinking about what you want it to do, it can get fairly complicated though as far as interfacing with multiple sensors and having the desired control.

If you want to save money, ditch the A&A (although opinions vary wildly), and certainly ditch the Ozone (there is no value to it in an outdoor residential pool).

Jason,

Concerning the PS4 I have read about key pad failures, mother board failures, intermittent connectivity.

The A&A and ozone is "included" in the off season package. We also live in a rural area with horse properties where one of our roads is dirt so it gets pretty dusty. Figured that the A&A could help a bit. On our old pool we had the Pool Cleaner which I liked but it just seemed to be a parts black hole.

As for the RPi I was thinking of just automating the spa, heater, lights, pump. It would be nice to have the chemistry automated but I think that is well of of my league.

I just use my P4 to control a 2 speed pump, turn the solar heating on and off (and increase pump speed if solar turns on), and the SWG. I was looking to add solar and SWG and the cost ended up similar just getting the Prologic ... I hope I do not run into any of the issues you describe :D

I had an in-floor cleaner on my previous pool that I had built before I knew anything. It did a decent job, but debris always collected in a few corners. Another disadvantage is that you have to run the pump at higher speeds and for longer periods of time to keep the pool clean and that just uses more electricity. Seems that these days for much less purchase and operating costs you can get a robot to clean the pool which will do a better job as well.

I would highly suggest that you have a 2nd set of normal wall returns installed that you can select with a valve so that you have the option of just running them if a problem develops with the in-floor system.