Bronze Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 11,000 gallon in-ground pool. It's uncovered and the temperature ranges from 95 in the summer to 72 as of today. I want to heat it to around 85 or so to get a few months more use.

I am looking at this heat pump: RayPak Compact Series Pool Heat Pump 85,000 BTUs - 013601 - INYOPools.com

Would this be the appropriate size heat pump and is this a good brand of heat pump?

I have an irregular shaped pool. I also like looking at the pool at night while it's lit up. I have thought about a solar cover, but it almost defeats the "look" I am trying to get in the backyard.

Thanks for the response!

I agree and resisted getting a solar cover for about 4 years. I finally got one last spring and it made a huge difference. Picking up those few degrees each night got the pool warm fast. I only use it in early spring and late fall on cool nights when we know we want to swim that weekend. I'll put it on usually Wednesday and leave it on a until Sat morning. It stays put up all winter and all summer.

I have an irregular shaped pool. I also like looking at the pool at night while it's lit up. I have thought about a solar cover, but it almost defeats the "look" I am trying to get in the backyard. Thanks for the response!

I felt the same way. My temperature increase was about 6 degrees (if left for at least 24-48 hours). If you put on the solar cover on at night and take off in the morning, there will be a lot of heat retained in the pool due to evaporation. A 8 ml solar cover ( you can go higher) with a 10,000 gallon and it should not be that much heavier. Order the solar cover at least 4-6 feet longer so you can cut the pieces in half. Then overlap in the middle of the pool. Additionally, you can go out and purchase 1" white PVC (10 ' long or join with a coupling) and use them to roll the cover up and put away in the shade. No need to be purchasing these expensive rollers.

To install a gas heater and/or heat pump in NJ would cost $5,000 +. Then the amount of extra $$ would be another $350-$500 per month (car payment). The season is short and the pool does not get a lot of use. Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.