Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I'm hoping my pool equipment will be up and running at the end of the week, barring any rain.
My contract has Phos-free and start-up chemicals????? I called to ask specifics and they said I would probably have to use an algaecide :shock: since some water has been sitting in the pool since last Wed.
My tap water test is
pH 7
CL 1
TA 60
CH 110
My question is, should I just have them put in the salt and turn eqipment on and LEAVE!!!
I've plugged in the numbers to Pool Calc, so I think I know what I need to go and buy. With y'alls help I think I can do this on my own.
I just kon't want them putting anything in my pool that will mess me up.

You don't want to do anything that will interfere with your warranty coverage. If you want to do the startup yourself, double check with them that it won't void the warranty, before proceeding. If they are fine with it, then by all means do it yourself.

Didn't I read somewhere that algaecide had metals in it??? I was just thinkng of shocking with bleach. I'm sure I will need to since 3' of water has been sitting 7 days.
I don't want to void my warranty, but I don't want them putting stuff in there that I will have to try and get rid of later.

I wouldn't imagine that avoiding algaecide would cause warranty problems any more than I would worry that adding bleach to sitting water would.

No problem. Good advice from Jason though. Just be sure that there aren't any chemicals to avoid in your warranty before proceeding. In the end though, chlorine is chlorine and your water will need some anyway.

Hi Lynn I'm glad you are so close to swimming :!: :cheers: :party:

The only algicide you should use with your SWCG is the polyquat - you don't want the metals that some algicides have and the linear quat we use (ammonia based) causes a sheet of fine foamy crust on the surface of the pool when the salt is ~1500ppm or higher :(

You will want to let them add a metal to the pool, calcium to protect the gelcoat. :wink:

As long as the SWCG is operating properly, you shouldn't need any algicide, I'd keep some poly 60 on hand for winterizing or if you go on vacation.

Have you posted any pics yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I plugged in my #'s and the PC says i need 31lbs. :shock: of calcium chloride and 16lbs. of stabilizer.
Went to Wally World all excited about getting my "stuff" :whoot: Well I got the baking soda, bleach, and Borax without any trouble. Went to the pool section and began reading labels :? Dichlor,trichlor,stabilizer for small pools, trichlor-s-triazinatrone?, stuff with 20-30% other ingredients, no polyquat 60 :rant:
Needless to say I left that isle with nothing in my buggy.
Can somebody go to Wally World with me? :(

Tap water #'s at top of this thread.

Only Swim World.
They had 4lbs. stabilizer for $16. I've never bought chemicals before, so I don't know if that is good or bad. If I had to guess, coming from a pool store it would be bad. :?
The only good thing about it was it said it was CYA, plain and simple. The stuff at Walmart just confused me.
I need it to be in black and white and no mumbo jumbo cutesy names. I'm not used to the terminology. :scratch:

Hey Casey, Maybe somemore pics in the Visual Encyclopedia :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.