What kind of jet is this?!

Sep 8, 2016
Chandler AZ
My pool has some strange looking eyeball jets. They are black and don't have the usual external ring. They are old and worn, so the eyeballs automagically rotate to an orientation that blocks flow which means that more water has to return through the fountains, chilling the pool. Good in summer, bad now. Has anyone seen these before? Do you know who makes them, what they're called and how to get replacements? The thread is larger than the normal 1.5", they measure 1.840" so they're probably considered 1-7/8".

20161027_091628_1.jpg

cheers,
c

jblizzle,
When I search "in-wall eyeball pool jet" at amazon, INYOPOOLS, Leslies, etc I don't see anything that looks like what I've got. I just see this style: Custom Molded 30220 3/4 inch Inlet Eyeball Fitting

I've been unable to tighten them by hand enough to make them stay put, and I've got a few broken ones that I can't remove. I need a tool or something to engage the tangs. A link to the tool or a replacement would be great.

cheers,
c

Well, I have basically the same thing in my pool. Here is one example of the entire fitting:
http://www.poolfittings.com/flush-mount-return-fittings/

I have seen a link to a tool, but I do not not recall where. I think I used some channel locks to spin the ring. I recall someone used like a couple nails though a board or something to spin the ring.

Contact INYO, they are really good about finding parts.

Poolguy was right, the regular 1.5" replacements do fit. I swapped 3 of the 4 yesterday and now I've actually got some decent flow and can push surface leaves toward the skimmer. Progress! There is just one of the old style eyeball fittings still stuck, the others eventually came out by-hand with a lot of wiggling. The last one is tight-enough that I definitely need some kind of tool. I post here when it's out, or I've broken something. Thanks everyone for the help.

cheers,
c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I can find the flush ones, I wouldn't mind swapping them out again. The replacements I got are cheapo's from Amazon, 5 for $6, so I don't have a lot invested in them. I don't have a full set of the flush ones, one of the eyeballs was missing, two of the collars were damaged. I've only got 2 that could be reinstalled (need 4).

I made a tool from a piece of PVC, I had a length of 1.655" OD PVC tube in my garage, I cut off a 6" section, then used the bandsaw to make notches to fit the tabs on the recessed eyeballs. Worked great and the last one is out/replaced. Pool is much happier.

Now the next problem. Yesterday, the hose for my pool vacuum split. Do you glue on a new end and shorten, or just replace the whole hose?

cheers,
c

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.