Safety cover installation - cost vs DIY?

SuddenPool

Bronze Supporter
Oct 24, 2016
West Lafayette, IN
Hi all,

New pool owner here, and also a first-time homeowner to boot. In Central Indiana.

The previous owner used a normal "tarp-style" winter cover. The problem is that with our backyard design, it completely dominates the view from the house windows and looks ugly as sin.

So I learnt about safety covers and have been craving that neat "look". Safety is not a major concern (no pets or kids).

There is only one pool service company in the town, and the quote I got from them was 3.5K for a mesh, and 4.2K for a solid safety cover. Needless to say, that is more than a pretty penny.

First question is whether this is something I can bite off myself as DIY, or would I be in over my head? I'm not very "handy" (yet) and looking at the videos, there seem to be many ways to screw this up :D

The second question is about the anchoring. The pool is "grecian-style octagon" with steps in one corner, and the whole pool has a 3-foot wide strip of brick paving. Outside the strip, there is either lawn, planter beds, or wooden deck (which is at further 4-6" height). So I need to anchor within that strip. I was able to pry up one of the bricks, and it seems like a pretty hard surface (cement or concrete) underneath. So maybe I don't need to use the long "anchor-in-tube" style installation? (Also not sure where the pool pipes are located, and concerned that a deep drill will hit them).

Can I get away with just prying up the one brick needed per anchor, and fix the anchor in into the cement/concrete under that? If yes, how should I deal with the fact that the rest of the cover/strap/spring will be on the "brick-level", but the anchor will be drilled into a surface 2-3 inches lower (depth of the removed brick)? Will this be a problem?

Thanks.

I installed mine myself and it wasn't a huge deal. I bought a hammer drill and bit so I could take my time and not have to hurry with a rental.

Generally pipes are a foot or so underground, so I don't think that will be an issue.

I have virtually the same pool, and my Loop-Loc has been great. Mine is 20X36 and my cover was about $1200 around 10 years ago.

The way the strap attaches to the anchor is going to require the anchor at the same height as the top of the brick. The cover has springs and the strap has to be pulled with a lever to get it to go over the anchor. Generally the anchors are about 18" from the edge of the cover. That probably means going with the paver style anchors. There's a chance that what is under the brick is compacted paver base which can seem a lot like concrete after a few years.

If your bricks are fired clay rather than concrete pavers, you may need to investigate the proper bit for drilling without chipping them.

I would be concerned about anchoring into the brick if you can "pry" it up.....anywhere. It sounds like they are not set on concrete and mortared but rather installed as "pavers".

I doubt you'll have any problems hitting pipes but getting a solid. permanent anchor in place is often difficult unless the anchors are in poured concrete

Pipe & anchor assemblies are available in 8" now.. The "interlocking" pavers provide the lateral support, not the depth of the pipe/anchor - so the "shorties" are great. Drill between the pavers, the more paver joints the pipe is in the more stable. (Drill a 3 point joint if close enough - vs 2)

I like to drill pipe anchors with the pool running - just so I know if a pipe is hit immediately...

Also if more than 30% of anchors are not in poured concrete, the cover is not a "safety" cover per ANSI standard - FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.