Question about skimmer pipe volume and drain gate

cpo1

Oct 26, 2016
Avon, IN
I have a small in-ground pool that is roughly 10' x 19' and approximately 6000 gallons. The lines are 1 1/2". After blowing the skimmer line out from the pump with an air compressor set at about 25 PSI, I closed the skimmer valve next to the pump. I then added anti-freeze to the skimmer opening, but was only able to get 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze into the line before it was full. I was expecting to be able to add more and was not particularly looking to fill the skimmer line completely up. Should I consider blowing the line out again from the skimmer end with a blower and then add anti-freeze again? Or will anti-freeze mix with whatever may still be in the line to protect it from freezing. I live in Indianapolis, IN. Also, I blew the bottom drain for a minute or so and could see a lot of air escaping at the deep end of the pool. I then closed the drain valve next to the pool pump while the compressor was still running and then shut the compressor off to protect from overcharging the line. Is that correct and all that is required for this line? Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. That is a good question. I don't know the answer to it. I'll have to take a dow rod and see how far it goes down straight. But, you mention the other side. I only have one skimmer. I won't be back at the house though until Sunday. I'll check it out on Monday and get back to you. I'm tempted to blow the line out again from the skimmer opening to see if water comes out, followed by anti-freeze. But I'm guessing the anti-freeze would have homogenized with the water by now, but don't know that for sure. I guess it depends upon the weight of the water versus weight of the anti-freeze. I see that I need to add specs on my profile so people can see what brand of pool, pump, etc., that I have. I'll update that too as soon as I can. Thanks for your interest.

You're probably just seeing a vapor lock similar to what stine saw. Not knowing your setup, does your skimmer valve need to be closed? Meaning that if it isn't you could open it to let the AF in then reclose it. If you have to keep closed take a hose, preferably 10' long or so and pour your antifreeze into that after pushing it into your piping. This will kind of fill it from the bottom while provided a path for the displaced are to escape.

You're probably just seeing a vapor lock similar to what stine saw. Not knowing your setup, does your skimmer valve need to be closed? Meaning that if it isn't you could open it to let the AF in then reclose it. If you have to keep closed take a hose, preferably 10' long or so and pour your antifreeze into that after pushing it into your piping. This will kind of fill it from the bottom while provided a path for the displaced are to escape.

Thanks for the reply. I've updated my pool data sheet and found that the pool only has about 4500 gallons; a big spa with only two inlets, but still useful for an old guy. I really appreciate learning about this stuff and enjoy reading about various problems and solutions. I've decided to re-blow my system, hopefully tomorrow, and use a high CFM blower. I have a 6 HP Rigid vac/blower and also a two stage Fuji HVLP paint spray outfit. I'm anxious to see what the Fuji does before I go out and buy a Cyclone. From what I am reading, both may be similar in capacity, but really don't know for sure. The Cyclone is rated with HP and the Fuji is rated with Amps and Watts, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. Using a water hose to force air out and make a pathway for homogenizing anti-freeze seems like a really good idea and I am going to try that first, so I can see what happens, air-wise, etc. Again, thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. I've updated my pool data sheet and found that the pool only has about 4500 gallons; a big spa with only two inlets, but still useful for an old guy. I really appreciate learning about this stuff and enjoy reading about various problems and solutions. I've decided to re-blow my system, hopefully tomorrow, and use a high CFM blower. I have a 6 HP Rigid vac/blower and also a two stage Fuji HVLP paint spray outfit. I'm anxious to see what the Fuji does before I go out and buy a Cyclone. From what I am reading, both may be similar in capacity, but really don't know for sure. The Cyclone is rated with HP and the Fuji is rated with Amps and Watts, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. Using a water hose to force air out and make a pathway for homogenizing anti-freeze seems like a really good idea and I am going to try that first, so I can see what happens, air-wise, etc. Again, thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.