CYA Number Question

Jun 9, 2009
I have read through pool school almost everyday for the last 2 weeks, Thanks for the great info.

I bought my test kit from the recommended providers. I got the K-2006. I figured I would start with measuring the CYA to figure out how much bleach I needed to add. Last night I tested the CYA levels twice. Both times the test kit says to drip the solution into the CYA tube until you can not see the bottom black stopper. Both times for the test, the solution was totally clear.

I just opened the pool on Sunday. I added 4000 gallons. I have an AG oval that holds about 12000 gallons. It is in a VERY sunny area.

So my question is: Is my test kit unable to read the low levels of CYA or is my CYA so bad that it will never get cloudy?

Thanks for any advice.

Low CYA levels are very tough to read. I like to mix the CYA sample first, then perform the rest of the tests before I go back and do the CYA test to ensure there is plenty of time for the sample to cloud. If you're able to fill the tube and still see the bottom, you likely have little to no CYA.

I shocked the pool with 2-96 oz bleach on Sunday. There is no algae visible. The sidewalls are quite slimy so I need to get in, BRRRR, and scrub the walls.

Sorry, I did not take a full set of numbers as I thought I was doing something wrong with the CYA test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.