Piping reduction

Jul 22, 2008
Arlington, Texas
I have a question about my system. I'm having a couple of leaking issues and feel now is the time to replace the filter from DE to sand. Anyhow, I've noticed that I have two inch piping from the spa and pool to the pump (1.5hp motor). Two inch piping out of the pump to a two way valve. One side of the valve reduces down to 1 1/2" through a filter to the pool sweeper and I believe it is 2" piping to the DE filter. Out of the filter is 1 1/2" piping to the heater and then through a two-way valve to the spa and pool, all of which is 1 1/2" piping. My question is why go from 2" to 1 1/2" piping? Is it because of the pool sweeper line? I'm thinking of changing to a sand filter with a 6-way valve and was wondering if I should go with the 1 1/2" valve or do I need to use the 2"? Also, my current DE filter is 48 sqft., is a 30" (about 500lb sand, hayward S310S) necessary or can I go with a 24" (about 300lb sand, hayward, S224S?).

The plumber probably did what he did because it was convienent. You can basically use any size pipe you want but you may need to have reducers/expanders to handle the size changes for the equipment. I usually recommend using either 2" or 2 1/2" on the pad but you can also go with 1 1/2" if it makes it easier to install although head loss will be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.