Water Flow increases when Polaris is turned off

May 21, 2009
I have a long standing problem of not getting a good prime lately -we have checked all of the obvious. I am on my 2nd pool "Pro" and he cannot figure it out as well. The psi pressure starts at about 4 psi when turned on - not a good solid prime and poor return flow out the returns. Filter is clean. He did a leak check and claims to have bown out the lines. What we noticed is that the flow out of the returns will increase somewhat when the polaris is turned off. When polaris is on you cannot feel the water at all out of the returns.
I am thinking that there is still some partial blockage..Any ideas?

Is the pump strainer basket full of water, or are their bubbles?

It makes sense that the flow and pressure would increase without the Polaris, since it restricts water to the pump. Can you give a little information about your pool? Skimmers? Main Drain? Pump and Filter?

JohnT said:
Is the pump strainer basket full of water, or are their bubbles?

It makes sense that the flow and pressure would increase without the Polaris, since it restricts water to the pump. Can you give a little information about your pool? Skimmers? Main Drain? Pump and Filter?

Its not completely full of water and yes there are bubbles. It varies though. Sometimes the flow is so low that the water does not touch the top of the sight glass. Other times it will touch the top but will still be bubbly.

The pool was built in 1980. My skimmer has 2 holes in it - one going to the main drain and one going to the pump. ClearFlo DE Filter..

The service tech said that when he blew out the line going from the skimmer to the main drain that a large amount of debris came up (this was last week). I could not get a prime at that time so when he did this it helped me get a FULL prime. I thought problem solved. However, shortly afterward, while vacuuming minor dirt, it stopped sucking and I lost prime again.

Can you try operating your pump with the multiport (assuming you have one) set to recirculate to see if that makes a difference.

A clog in the skimmer to drain line shouldn't have affected the pump inflow. If that line is clogged, the skimmer should be able to supply enough flow to operate the pump.

A few more questions: How does your Polaris hook up to the plumbing? Dedicated port or in the skimmer? Pressure or suction?

Does the skimmer weir move freely so it can go almost flat on the bottom of the skimmer mouth?

I'd personally try sticking a garden hose into the pump input line to flush the line toward the skimmer. You can go through the pump strainer basket with a rag or towel to hold pressure. If there is an accessible union on the line, you can use half of another union and some adapters to make a garden hose to PVC adapter so you get full pressure without getting wet.

JohnT said:
Can you try operating your pump with the multiport (assuming you have one) set to recirculate to see if that makes a difference.

A clog in the skimmer to drain line shouldn't have affected the pump inflow. If that line is clogged, the skimmer should be able to supply enough flow to operate the pump.

A few more questions: How does your Polaris hook up to the plumbing? Dedicated port or in the skimmer? Pressure or suction?

Does the skimmer weir move freely so it can go almost flat on the bottom of the skimmer mouth?

I'd personally try sticking a garden hose into the pump input line to flush the line toward the skimmer. You can go through the pump strainer basket with a rag or towel to hold pressure. If there is an accessible union on the line, you can use half of another union and some adapters to make a garden hose to PVC adapter so you get full pressure without getting wet.

Well, no multiport valve here.
Polaris has a dedicated line on the side of the wall in the pool. I don't have a weir installed.
I tried flushing the line towards the skimmer with a drain king attached to my garden hose.
thanks

Have you tried checking the impeller on the pump with your finger? Make sure the pump is shut off for real, and reach in through the intake in the strainer basket. Debris in there can really cut down your flow.

Here's an update: This morning we turned the pump on - psi started @ 4. Would not fully prime and very weak flow out of the returns. I checked it @ 12 noon- the flow in the sight glass was significantly weaker. ( I can see the water coming in from the inlet instead of a fuller prime). psi on the filter is now 12 psi - still very poor return flow..any ideas?

I'd jam a hose in the inlet to the skimmer basket and wrap a rag around it to seal it off. This is more useful at dislodging partial clogs than a drain king since the flow is much higher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.