???? on Closing with deck jets and waterfall (have diagram in post)

Apr 29, 2015
Wheatfield, IN
Have a few questions on closing my newly installed pool. I had the pool company come out last year and it seemed pretty straight forward but since then have added my deck jets and waterfall feature so have a couple more questions so it gets done correctly. I am wanting to do it myself so I am going to buy a 3HP cyclone Vacuum/Blower that everyone recommended on this site, along with a few fittings and flex hose. Questions are

1. Where do I blow the water fall from? the pump? Is it OK to blow through the heater like that? The main feed line to the water fall is a 2-1/2'' line if that makes a difference or not. Plan on pouring some pool antifreeze down the waterfall line once blown out, is that ok?

2. Where do I blow the deck jets from? Really same questions as above, assume through the pump? Then will plug off with the supplied black threaded fitting plugs

3.In regards to the pool it self, the pool company last year blew through the pump the entire time, but it seems like a lot of people on here blow through the skimmer? I will need an extension as I keep the pool level the same throughout the winter and do not drain below the skimmer during the winter. Should the main drain be blown down first, then air-locked with the 3 way Jandy valve? Is the 3 way valve even sufficient to keep the airlock and how do you know if its been breached throughout the winter?

Thanks folks appreciate the help

Attachments

• Pool Equip Diagram.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 17
71 Chevy:

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature. The closing part, whether skimmers, returns, waterfall is all the same. Air has to remove water, returns and skimmers) have to be plugged off. The waterfall, can just be left open as no water can enter. If you have a plug for the waterfall, then by all means after clearing the line, plug the line. The main drains require an "air lock".

The connection can be made either from the pump or the skimmer. Exactly, what will you be using to clear the lines? Shop Vac, Compressor, or what type of blower. Some people use the Cyclone.

You have a Jandy Valve at the pump for the main drain (good news). You can close the MD first and remove the water out of the 4 deck jets. You can also isolate the other area if you do not have enough air volume to accomplish the task. Please describe what equipment you have and exactly how you plan on going about the closing. Thanks!

Signature added, sorry forgot about that piece

Was planning on buying a 3HP Cyclone Blower with some misc. fittings but wanted to make sure I understood the process before jumping into it. I have a large air compressor but have been warned about over-pressurizing the system so spending money on the cyclone might be worth it for my piece of mind.

If you are planning on the Cyclone, only an adapter to fit in the skimmer port and a 3' 1.5" hose will be needed.

Below is a thread of the part #'s, etc. on what I purchased. Please look at my posts. Shop around for Cyclone as I believe it is less expensive at the present time. Thank you.

Modified Cover for Swimming Pools

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

Cylcone has been bought along with the adapter and hose. Once it gets here early next week I will begin the process. I hear some discussion about what the pool chemicals and levels should be. How important is it if I have to bring my CYA etc up to certain levels, not sure I will have enough time to balance 100% before I need to blow out my lines? I am running a full water test this weekend using my TF-100 Kit and will post results

Thanks

How important is it if I have to bring my CYA etc up to certain levels, not sure I will have enough time to balance 100% before I need to blow out my lines? I am running a full water test this weekend using my TF-100 Kit and will post results

Depends on what you mean by certain levels? If you have some CYA in your pool, that is fine. If very low, then definitely recommend the Poly-Quat 60 and bringing up to shock level prior to closing. Of course, adjust PH as well to around 7.6-7.8.

Any suggestions on the chemicals before I blow out the lines and close her up for the winter ???

You could add some stabilizer (which could take a week) and SLAM the pool until you have CC of .5 or less. If your water is clear, then these steps can be done in the EARLY SPRING. Again, EARLY SPRING.

Outside of this, go ahead and close the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.