I don't think Pool Guy added any chemicals to my pool on closing

May 29, 2015
Mississauga
Hi,

I had my pool closed thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I've been meaning to post for some time but I didn't have a chance. Anyways, my pool guy only opens and closes my pool as I do all the maintenance and water balancing myself. I had cleaned the pool and done a backwash and cleaned out the skimmer basket and pump basket and made sure the water was balanced before he came but I noticed he didn't add any other chemicals to my pool. I had the FC at 9.5 ppm and was holding steady. PH was a little high at 8 but other than that he didn't add a thing and I am wondering if I should be worried? I don't know much about the closing process even though I have read everything here, it just seems like something I can't get my head around. However, after seeing my pool guy that day drain the pool, blow out the lines and do a few other things, I am not sure I want him to come back next year to close. I wasn't impressed. I paid a lot of money for what seemed like 20 minutes of work (he had two other people with him as well). Should I worry my water will be green in the spring???? Should I attempt this myself next year and save myself the money and worry???

The FC should be brought up to shock level for your CYA before closing. What is your CYA at? Is the pool covered? The idea is to have enough FC in the pool to last until spring. I routinely open in the spring to 3-6 ppm FC after bringing the FC up to 12 or 16 ppm (depending on my CYA level).

A polyquat-60 algaecide can also be used as another buffer.

Zingy gal, most pool companies need to know whether or not you want a closing that includes chemicals. Many people, like me, prefer to prepare my own water for closing. If you don't see products on your bill, you probably ad a "straight" closing comprised of blowing the lines, draining equipment, and placing your cover.

To me, that's worth the labor cost, because its much faster and easier with two or three workers than solo. One year, tey wrecked the pressure switch on closing and replaced it under their closing warranty.

Lots of TFPers close their own pools, at their own inherent risk, and in some cases, their own investment in superior closing elements such as a cyclone air compressor. But as CT points out...you're paying for both the time/labor, equipment, and expertise. The latter is valuable. There's nothing to stop you from DIY, but don't begrudge the pool business their overhead and experience ;)

If you paid for a chemical case and didnt get one, that's another matter, and worth a call to them.

^if you like him, that's a good plan, but do ask him to check with you next time on whether you want him to prep the water or not ;) Let him know it was unfortunate that he closed without higher FC and ask him to call or text this kind of check for instruction. He'll get the idea pretty quickly that you're looking for a partnership here. Just because you DIY on regular maintenance doesn't mean you shouldn't ave the option on closing if you know what I mean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have been in this crazy business for 35 years and I can honestly say that we have never added anything to a pool prior to closing, unless they have a mesh cover. I can honestly say that outside of mesh covered pools they are usually just a clear as when we cover them. Probably going to be raked over the coals for this but usually when a customer calls there are 20 others waiting to have their pools closed too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.