Also New owner of a old pool - above ground - Need to change pump

Oct 24, 2016
chapel Hill/NC
Hi,

I am just starting to investigate on how I could properly take care of the pool.
I have conflicting information.
It is a above ground 19000 Gallons with one skimmer 2 holes (one plugged).
Two out take lines but only one is connected. (perhaps the other one is a spare one).
Pump is 0.75 HP and sand filter is a 50 GPM.
I want to move the pump and filter as I would like to expand my deck.
There will be about 80 feet of 1 1/2 pipes and (10) elbows. Pump and filter will be below the level of the water and most likely at the level of the intake.

My Pump is dead. I need to change it. I would need to purchase a pump that take on account the new configuration.
I am wondering what is the impact of the head loss added with the new pipes and 90 elbows added. According to my calculation I am close or above 100 feet head. which seems to be very high.
What should I do?
Find a solution to reduce the head footing?
Should I upgrade to a 1 HP?

It would be great to have advices from member of this forum.

Thank you

Cheers

Hi,

I am just starting to investigate on how I could properly take care of the pool.
I have conflicting information.
It is a above ground 19000 Gallons with one skimmer 2 holes (one plugged).
Two out take lines but only one is connected. (perhaps the other one is a spare one).
Pump is 0.75 HP and sand filter is a 50 GPM.
I want to move the pump and filter as I would like to expand my deck.
There will be about 80 feet of 1 1/2 pipes and (10) elbows. Pump and filter will be below the level of the water and most likely at the level of the intake.

My Pump is dead. I need to change it. I would need to purchase a pump that take on account the new configuration.
I am wondering what is the impact of the head loss added with the new pipes and 90 elbows added. According to my calculation I am close or above 100 feet head. which seems to be very high.
What should I do?
Find a solution to reduce the head footing?
Should I upgrade to a 1 HP?
;
It would be great to have advices from member of this forum.

Thank you

Cheers

Yann,

What flow rate are you using? Here's a table from my engineering toolbox that may help:

Capture.jpg

Normal design for liquid flow is 4 ft/sec and a max of 7. The 4 ft per second normal design is partly base on pumping cost optimization.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thank you.
my filter can handle up to 50 GPM and my calculation shows about 40 GPM for a cycle of 8 hours. I wouldn't mind if it is a bit longer though. The question mark at my end is more the impact of the plumbing.I am using this type of chart to figure it out. Length of 1 1/2 tube is below 80 but I have (10) elbows 90 degres. Which seems to hurt the friction head drasticaly.
then if I look at the spec of pump friction head Vs GPM i am almost out of range. This confuse me since i don't have the feeling to have such an uncomon installation.
i assume I am missing something here.

Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.