Evap rate with cover on

Aztec

Oct 20, 2016
san diego, ca
I'm curious to hear how much (little) evap you get with a good fitting cover. Mine has about a 3" gap at one end when closed, all 3 other sides covered. and yet we still lose about 1.5" per month in the summer. In the cooler months a bit less. I expected it to be near zero. We've had a leak detector service out, and they didn't think it was unusual. When we fix our stuck cover, we'll test using the skimmer wells.

I have an auto-filler, so haven't thought much about this, but a non-pool related water problem caused me to shut that off. I have about 10 sq. feet uncovered (if my calculations are correct), and lost substantially more than you did, maybe an inch/week in the summer. We've had rain up here, so we went high, and now are losing a bit.... I'm going to do a more formal test when we have a predicted 7-10 days without rain, but I would be less nervous with your evap. rate than I am with mine.

Evaporation should be proportional to the area of the water coverage. So if the cover covers 95% of the water area, then you should have only 5% of the evaporation you have without the cover.

But the amount you are seeing could be due to splash out unless you never use the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.