Shallow end return not a continuous stream of water

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I've recently noticed one of my shallow end return jets is struggling to push water out. It's almost like a gurgling where it shoots out a stream and then loses pressure, then shoots another, etc. It's nearest the equipment pad and is near the shallow end skimmer. The one near the deep end skimmer has a similar issue, yet not so noticeable. The three on the other side of the pool do not seem to have this issue. Could I have something clogged in the line between my skimmers?

Note that I've had some serious leaves in the pool that I've been cleaning out as quickly as I can. Recently backwashed and cleaned out the skimmer pump basket but that didn't help. There are two holes under each skimmer with a sliding device that can be positioned to fully or partially block one of the holes (or leave both holes open). The deep end skimmer has both holes open. The shallow end has one partially blocked.

Any issues with the skimmers or diverter plates will show up in the pump strainer basket in the form of air build up in the basket or pump cavitation, a gurgling noise that sounds like gravel is in the pump impeller. Those are suction side problems. What you describe is a pressure side problem that occurs after the pump.

What is the filter pressure now?
What is the filter pressure when clean?
How is the water flow from the returns when clean vs now?

Now that you mention it, I do see a little more than normal air build up in the pump basket. I've tried bleeding the filter nozzle but it does not seem to help.

Filter pressure is about 15 and that's about a normal clean reading. 14 is probably as low as it gets immediately after backwash. I usually backwash when it gets around 18-20 psi. I don't see any difference in the returns when clean vs not.

Two things that I can't believe I left out of the original post. I recently put in a request with the home warranty folks because my pump was leaking and they sent someone out to replace the seals. I also had them replace the valve to my water feature because I was unable to turn it completely off and my PH was always climbing due to the aeration. Anyway, I don't necessarily remember this happening before this work was done.

Note: pump is no longer leaking and I am now able to successfully turn off my water feature.

The pump seems to be getting enough water as it's not making a gurgling sound, however, there is more air in the pump basket than I think there should be. I've done the soapy water test around the unions and don't see any indications of there being a leak on the suction side. A couple things make me wonder:

1- When I backwash, water comes out from pump basket housing, however the lid and especially the O ring seem to be in really good shape, but I have not tried replacing them. Also, when I backwash, the pump leaks through a small (I'm guessing a pressure release) valve on the bottom of the pump. This only happens during backwash, not normal filter operation. Pretty sure it's been like this the whole time I've lived in the house (4 months).

2- I know I'm not using the right terms, but there are two holes in each skimmer with a diverter plate as described in the original post. Only one hole from each skimmer has an suction. So there is one hole in each skimmer that doesn't seem to have any suction. Is that normal? I guess I always thought one hole connected the two skimmers and one hole on each went to the pump. Not sure if that's accurate tho.

Any thoughts or advice on what I should try/do next?

2. Yes, that is normal. The hole farther from the pool is the suction line going to the pump. The hole nearer the pool draws water from the bottom drain but will not have suction when the diverter valve is removed.

1. You have a suction leak or two. It leaks water when backwashing and sucks air under normal operation. Use some plumber's grease/silicone o-ring grease to lube the o-ring on the pump strainer lid and also the small o-ring on the drain plug at the bottom of the basket.

More here, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

So I replaced (and greased) new o-rings for the lid and the drain plug at the bottom of the basket. I also replaced the o-ring on the base of the pump because I could tell it had been leaking. I have a Pentair Challenger pump. When I replaced the drain plug o-ring on the pump and reinstalled, I noticed the tighter I tighten it, the worse the leak is. I can back it off to about half way tight and slows the leak significantly, so I think I may have like a hairline fracture in the part of the pump where the drain plug screws into. Does that sound reasonable? And could this cause my air suction problem even though it's beyond the pump basket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are correct. That leak is in the pressure side of the system and so, pump running, leaks water. It sounds like you have two leaks. Is there air in the pump basket when the pump is running?

Clean that connection. Get a brass brush or even an old stiff toothbrush and clean ALL of that junk out....not only from the pump body but from the threads on the plug. Now try again with enough pipe dope to cover the threads....that's all you need.

You are correct. That leak is in the pressure side of the system and so, pump running, leaks water. It sounds like you have two leaks. Is there air in the pump basket when the pump is running?

Yes, but a lot less after I replaced the o-rings on the pump basket and basket drain...altho still some air in there.

Do how the diverter valves are set in the skimmer have anything to do with this?

Ok, I've found my suction leak. It's on the pipe coming in from the main drain, which is the one on the far right. As I pour water over it, the bubbles in the basket all but go away. When I turn it to the off position as I'm showing here, there's immediately no air in the basket so it's clearly the culprit. Next question: How do I fix?

View attachment 55505

Also, cleaned all the old gunk out of the drain plug port and used some thread sealant and let it sit overnight before turning the pump back on. There is no longer a steady stream, but there still remains a very slight leak where a drop falls like every 10 minutes. Might just have to be good enough for the time being while I focus on my suction problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.