About to take possession - first numbers

Nightowl333

Bronze Supporter
Apr 23, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Hello everyone! We're building a new home and pool and take possession on Friday. The builder is handling the startup; it's been filled for a bit over a week so this morning I snuck over and grabbed some water (a foot below the surface) to see how it's coming and what i'm getting into. Here are the readings I got (first time on the test kits too, but I tried to be accurate):

FC: 3 ppm
CC: .5 ppm (so TC 3.5ppm)
CH: 325 ppm (welcome to Arizona water, it STARTS with a bunch of calcium)
TA: 80
CYA: less than 20 but more than 0 (I could kinda see the dot)
ph: 8.2 or more

So am I correct in interpreting that:
* we need to add acid to get that PH down (there was a jug of it in the yard, so the builder is probably planning on that)
* FC is on the edge so about time to add
* What about the CYA - do I want to move that needle now too or get the other stuff right first, or...? I'm a little unclear on which things affect which other things.

Our other questions:
* How do we add chemicals so they distribute evenly/quickly? Does it matter? (i.e., dump it all in in one place, or...?)
* How long do we wait between adding chemicals and re-testing?

Thanks so much, we're excited to get swimming soon!

Before doing anything, what does your plaster warrantee and startup instructions say? You don't want to go adding things and then find out you've invalidated your warrantee.

I am backing triptyx in this one.

Here is a link to the extended directions for the tests:

Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Here are some answers:

-CYA should be put in a sock and hung infront of the return. It can stay in the water while you add anything else. When it has dissolved all the way out of the sock you can test then next day after the pump has run to mix it up good.

-Muratic acid and chlorine should be added with 15 mins between them. They do not play nice.

-test timing-pump running you can add then test about 15 mins after adding

-Pour liquids in front of the return slowly. To avoid splashing you can put the cup/jug in the water and let it flow out.

I THINK I covered every thing. Let me know if I missed anything

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.