In ground pop up cleaner a good idea?

Oct 20, 2016
AZ
People seem to either love or hate their in Ground cleaning systems. Pool builders talk highly of them but I want to hear from you folks! In AZ we get nasty dust storms but not a ton of big debris. IMO I think it's all about the customers expectations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have summed it up pretty well. Love em or hate em. Either way they are more money, more maintenance and more stuff to break. Buy a good robot with a small micron filter to pick up the dust. Mine comes with coarse filters for leaves and finer pleated paper filters for dust and finer debris. I think you would be happy with it.

This one, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

Yup, love em or hate em. I'm in the love em column. But then again, it's all I've known for the past 17 years. Mine is by A&A Manufacturing and comes with a "lifetime" warranty on moving parts (to the original owner). While I have had to replace gear sets, pop-ups and a few other parts over 17 years - the only item I paid out of pocket for was the leaf vac basket ($30 - the original bag failed after 12 years).

This particular company's customer service/support is great. Several of us here have called with questions and the company is very responsive. One member called and the company send a rep out to tweak his system for better performance - at no cost to the pool owner.

While the system isn't perfect (none are - whether in floor, robots, others), mine does a good job keeping my pool clean. As for our dust storms in the PHX area - my pool cleans up within the next cleaning cycle. Worst dust storm we had, it took two days - at 4 hours a day cleaning - to return the pool to pristine clean. Of course, I still brushed daily during that time and scooped out most of the larger debris.

Of course, if I was building a new pool, I'd be looking at in floor versus robot - no suction side or pressure side cleaner for me.

Something to consider - in floors require the pump to run at a high speed (usually 2700 or higher), which takes more electricity to run. This run time will vary with each pool, but is usually somewhere around 4 hours a day. With a robot, the pool pump doesn't need to run - the robot plugs into 120 VAC and I think it converts to 12 volt or 24 volt to run the robot. And many do not run their robot daily - as often times it isn't needed. Running the pool pump at a lower speed is more economical too.

Hopefully others will chime in with their take too.

Good points on pump run time and energy consumption. Yes, my robot plugs in 120v and converts to 24v. I run mine 2 or 3 times a week mostly and a couple of times a day on windy or leafy days. Run time is 2 hours and I think it uses 350 watts.

Agree 100% on robot vs in-floor and that pressure cleaners and suction cleaners are out of the running. We had a pressure cleaner before and the robot wins hands down.

If you live in colder climates with a heater, In floor systems make perfect sense. Warm water rises! (of couse its best to have a bubble cover also).

This hold true across most climates. The infloor helps even out the temp throughout the entire pool. For me, it's most important in spring and fall with my bubble cover on - I won't even get in unless the water temp is 83+. Of course, adjusting the returns in most any pool will help mix the water better too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.