Filter pressure guage reads 40 psi when running, normal? (SOLVED)

Re: Filter pressure guage reads 40 psi when running, normal?

40 seems too high. Really has nothing to do with if it's at the "clean" indicator. Is this pressure reading with the returns set totally to pool or to some spa setting? I saw in your build thread where you thought the spa jets were plugged and that would show increased pressure.

Possibly an obstruction in the filter? The cartridge wrapped in plastic? Check your valve settings to be sure you aren't restrictions return flow somewhere.

Reactions: Treetopp

The 40 psi is when it is running on 'mode 4' (highest setting which we were told to run ~6 hrs a day). The ~40psi is when it is running intake- pool, return- pool. I will fiddle with it tomorrow and see what all the different settings do. I know the spa was the same way when it was running...

I... am under the impression that left over debris gunite and tile plaster gravel got into the system rather bad (NO clue where it came from... I'm thinking it was sitting in the skimmer hole???)...

1) When the startup guy started up the system, he took out 3 (at least) pump buckets full of gravel and dumped it out.
2) The spa when first started up actually seemed to work... but then gravel spit out from the returns into the spa and now they are not working.
3) The start up guy took apart one of the... check valves and I didn't 100% notice, but I think he took gravel out of it.
4) The filter a while back was making occasional rattling 2-3 second long "WHEEEEEEEESSHHHH" noises earlier today, I got distracted and didn't pay attention later on if it was still doing it, it's off for the night.
5) I looked into the pump bucket real quick tonight as I cleaned up and noticed a bit more gravel and bits of the white plaster (stuff from behind the waterline tile I think) in it... I'll clean that out tomorrow morning.

Now, I personally... don't have any comparison at all, but my Pentair 'whisper flow' pump is pretty whiney... can hear it inside the house with the windows and doors closed... but, maybe that's how they are (I'm not impressed).

Sounds like shoddy plumbing if you are seeing gravel in it.

The indicators on the gauge can be turned. But we do not recommend waiting for a 10psi pressure roast to clean the filter. We suggest doing so at a 20-25% pressure rise over the clean pressure.

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?

40 psi is 92 feet of head. That's pretty much maxed out. If your gauge returns to zero when off, then something is seriously wrong. I would not run the system until it is fixed.

Also, you should never need 3450 rpm for filtration. That's way too much.

The variable speed pumps use a tefc motor, which use an external fan. At low speed, the fan is quiet. However, at high rpm, the fan can get annoyingly loud.

It's also possible that the pump is cavitating if the plumbing is clogged.

Thanks for your help guys, I REALLY appreciate it-

As of now-
Intake- Pool, Return- 50 Pool, 50 Spa
PSI 36
RPM 3450

I turned the pump off and the PSI was 0 and the RPM was 0.

SO... what does this mean? I'm contacting the PB today, what might be up with the system? I'm concerned with you stating 'something is seriously wrong'...

At 36 psi, the pump is basically pushing as hard as it can. Something is not right if the pressure is that high.

It is a very strong pump. I would not run it at full speed.

Really need to get it checked out.

All that gravel/debris in the lines indicates someone did something wrong. The lines might be almost comletely clogged.

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?

+1 for that! Always try the simple stuff first. Here's what I'd do along with a few things I've learned from trouble shooting centrifugal pumps for many years:

• If the pressure gauge is indeed working, check all the valves downstream of the pump to be sure you haven't accidentally got one in the wrong position (it's amazingly easy to do).
  • Next rule out rule out a plugged filter. Take the element out and run the pump briefly. If the discharge pressure drops a lot this is at least part of your problem. I'm assuming your pressure gauge is on top of the filter. If not there could be a few other things to look at.
  • If that doesn't fix it check other components in your system for plugging and check again valves to be sure they're in the right position. The flow restriction is more likely on the discharge side of your pump if your pressure is excessive. Restrictions on the suction side cause cavitation that makes an unmistakable rattling noise. It's often described as sounding like marbles are in the pump and this rarely results in high discharge pressure.
  • I don't have experience with your pump but I'd go to the manufacturers website and find the pump curve for your model. 40 psi is normally very close to max pressure. These are centrifugal pumps so the higher the pressure the lower the flow. At max pressure you usually have almost no flow. But check the pump curve to be sure. Some systems can be modified to change the pressure curve with different impeller diameters.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I be able to pull from my spa and pool at the same time?

Is this a thing or do I not know what I'm doing? When ever I set the intake valve to 50/50, with 100 return into the spa (so as to caascade back into the pool), the spa drains into the pool through the pool skimmer.

Re: Should I be able to pull from my spa and pool at the same time?

Let's see what the others here say, but my understanding is that there are three modes..

Pool mode. Take water from the Pool and return it to the pool
Spa mode. Take water from the Spa and return it to the Spa
Spillover mode. Take water from the Pool and return it to the Spa.

I'm not sure if you have a problem or if what you see is normal.

What is it that you want to accomplish that is not done using the three normal modes?

Jim R.

When the system is filtering each day and we're not touching/using it (running the program etc.), I would think it should filter both at the same time? Unless the spa doesn't need to be filtered every day?

Usually only spillover mode is run briefly to mix the chemistry. You could set it to run in spa mode briefly to filter the spa, but I think that is my typical.

It is abnormal to try to have suction from both the pool and spa, but if you did for some reason I do not understand how the spa could flow backwards into the skimmer.

Long story short, I will gladly type the whole story out if you guys think it'll help...

When I filled the pool on Friday night/Saturday morning, the spa was being filled, and it stopped filling and the pool started overflowing. I quickly flipped a bunch of valves until it stopped.

I noted just now when I had the intake valve set at 50/50 that water was bubbling up in the pool skimmer.

Of note, when I have the intake set at 50/50, and the return set to 100% spa, my spa drains so quick that within minutes the water is at the base of the tile. (it bubbles up into the pool skimmer).

Is the pump on at the time? If not, then of course the spa will drain down to pool level through the suction valve.

Return Head = 36 * 2.31 + 3 = 86' of head. Suction head at that return head is probably negligible so total head is close to return head.

Probably not dead head for an Intelliflo but very close. There is something definitely wrong with the plumbing. Valve in wrong position or filter clogged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.