Should I still SLAM my pool?

Apr 30, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hello. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was still sanitizing my pool with trichlor tabs and shocking about once a week with Cal Hypo. Despite this, it has been a challenge keeping the pool free of algae all summer, I think in large part because the inline chlorinator that I inherited when I bought the house is old and not functioning correctly. I am now using bleach (adding about 1 gallon/day) which is keeping my FC between 5 and 8 ppm.

Anyway, I was out of town a couple of weeks ago for about 4 days and during that time the pool turned completely green. I cleared it all up when I returned by shocking with Cal Hypo and then started adding bleach to maintain the appropriate FC for my CYA level. I did not complete the SLAM process.

My question is whether I should still SLAM my pool, even though the water looks good and algae is being kept at bay by maintaining appropriate FC? I am losing about 2-3 ppm FC overnight, so obviously I am not passing the OCLT. What are the advantages to now completing the SLAM process? We are probably done using the pool now for the season (temp about 75 degrees) and we will be draining the pool to get it remodeled in the new year.

Here are my chemistry readings as of this morning (prior to adding bleach):

FC 5 ppm
CC 0 ppm
PH 7.3
TA 80 ppm
CH 675 ppm (we have hard water here in Southern CA and the extensive use of Cal Hypo hasn't helped)
CYA 70 ppm

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Using PoolMath your Shock FC for CYA of 70 is 12. To help finish up SLAM, ensure the FC does not drop below this. Then you can begin checking OCLT as long as other 2 criteria of SLAM are met. Good luck.

JUST saw you were planning to empty pool> Sorry. I missed that. Now you need to hear from someone with more experience. Perhaps completing SLAM is moot if the pool will be empty soon. Regards.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.