pool alarms (in the water type)?

singingpond

Sep 15, 2013
Connecticut
I recently got information from our town's building department, regarding requirements for AG pools... like many owners of a 'blue blob' pool, we are starting to think there may be a larger, permanently installed AG pool in our future.

The electrical, bonding, and fencing requirements were all pretty much as expected. Required offsets from property line, well, septic also were unsurprising. Separate $50 fees for zoning compliance, and the same amount for some town official to glance at our plans and agree that we are far enough from the leach field -- mildly annoying, but mehh... Building permit fee rather arbitrarily doubles the parts costs when applicant does DIY install -- also a bit annoying -- you are basically penalized if you decide to purchase higher quality components.

The most surprising thing, when I read through to the end of the fencing handout today -- it mentions a requirement for a pool alarm (at least 50 dB, able to detect entry into the water of an object of 15 lbs or greater). The requirement seemed to apply across the board -- no exceptions listed.

I've searched the forum, and haven't found a great deal about these alarms, other than comments that they tend to false alarm. Does anyone have up to date comments about in-the-water pool alarms, or perhaps recommendations for a particular unit? Is this a common code requirement, or is CT unusual in this requirement?

I have never seen a requirement for an in pool alarm. I have seen them as an alternative to a perimeter alarm. Can you post a copy of the requirements. It was my impression that most code officials don't like them because they are easily removed and have too many false alarms.

Here it is:

AG105.7 Pool Alarm. No building permit shall be issued for the construction or substantial
alteration of a swimming pool at a residence occupied by, or being built for, one or more families
unless a pool alarm is installed with the swimming pool. As used in this section, "pool alarm"
means a device which emits a sound of at least 50 decibels when a person or an object weighing 15
pounds or more enters the water in a swimming pool.

I've done some more online searching, and it appears that Connecticut, Tennessee, and New York State have a requirement like this. Not sure if any other states have a similar rule. The Connecticut law requiring this was apparently passed in 1999 (!) What does it say that I've never ever seen such a device at the pools of any family or friends in the area... ? Some of those pools are pre-1999, but certainly not all.

Then that is a municipality failure & town can be found liable in a tragedy... CT had a very high profile entrapment death, CT takes multiple layers of protection very seriously, as the should be. When a man made vessel is built the entire community must be protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any units particularly recommended for this purpose? To be honest, I don't think such an alarm is all that useful in our situation - we are on a back lot, way back from the road, woods in back of the property, and older neighbors (no children) on both sides. That might lead us to get the cheapest unit that will satisfy the inspector. On the other hand, if there is an alarm of this sort that really works well, I'd like to know.

Here's my take:

I live in a state/county that doesn't require an alarm, but my wife and I moved into a house with a pool and wanted to protect our 1 year old, so we set out looking for safety devices. As much as we wanted a device that would alarm if something fell into the water, I could find no product that reliability did the job based on reviews I could find for each product. It quickly became clear to me that these products only exist to satisfy states that have laws requiring them. It's sad that a law that no doubt had good intentions turned into something that does nothing but sell useless products. Either way, my advice to you is buy the cheapest one you can find that will satisfy whoever inspects your property, and then disable it once they leave.

My wife and I put a pool safety fence around our pool to keep the kid out when we are not swimming. It cost me a lot more, but I'm happy with our decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.