Hayward Filter Spewing Water.... Gasket?

WalterE

Bronze Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Little Rock, AR
My Hayward Filter has started spewing water at the top where the flow control valve. It is leaking where the two half circles come together with bolts (see picture). I have tightened the bolts as much as I can. I suspect a new gasket. Can anyone help me with part number and/or instructions.b Thanks for your help
.Pool Filter.jpg

Either an o-ring has gone bad or the top of the filter has cracked. You will need to pull the valve off to see what is going on. The valve label should have the model number printed on it. Search that model number and you will find out what size o-ring you need. If the top of the filter has cracked you will need to replace the filter.

Probably a sp714t valve. What is the pressure? Looks like you might have a complete blockage somewhere for water to spray out like that.

If there's normal pressure, you're probably going to have to remove the valve to check everything. Be careful lifting the valve because it's connected to a standpipe, which can break loose if the valve is stuck on the pipe.

Thanks for all your help. An update. It only leaks on the filter selection I'm currently running on recirculate without a problem. Ordered an O Ring hoping it would fix the problem. If not, guess I will have to call in an expert.

I think you are correct. There must be a blockage in the filter flow. Pressure is 20psi both in filter mode and in recirculate mode(no gusher).
Now. I recall that this has happened before. Ocassionally after a backwash, I would get this same gusher for a few seconds and then it would quit (blockage cleared ???). Only now it keeps on gushing. Maybe it's not the O Ring???

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Called the pool repair store. The person that answered knew immediately. "Change the Sand". Changed the sand washed off the laterals and the problem went away.

Not sure, but suspect that the sand had been worn down over the years to a point where it was completely blocking the laterals. The clues were that it only spurted when set on filter and that it first appeared in short bursts on initial pump startup following a backwash. This clue actually started over a year ago, but never gave me a problem other than spraying me at initial pump on time.

Might be a good clue for me to know when to change the sand. NOTE: I let the pool repair shop do the work. Probably could have done it myself, but they earned it with the diagnosis... plus it looks like a tough job to do it correctly.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.