Flo valve not working correctly? (video)

My system is setup with a solar heater (on the roof, of course) ran after the heat pump. So everyday at 6pm when the system shuts down, the water remaining in the solar tubes drains back down into the heat pump. I was under the impression that this valve, which is between the heat pump and solar heater, should stop this backflow. It's also very loud inside and very annoying, so I'd love to have it stop doing this. Do I need a new valve?

Here is the valve as the solar heater is draining back through it into the heat pump.
Flo pool check-valve - YouTube

Is the flow valve on the supply side (before the pump and filter) or on the suction side) after filter? Also, maybe it is backwards. In a situation like this, it is always best to check with the manufacturer. It reminds me of the radiant heat applications in the house. The pump was moved once. Then the second plumber said it belong in the same spot it was moved from. IMO, the flow valve should be on the return side (after the filter), heat pump and solar panels, right before entering the returns of the pool without any restrictions.

How long has this flow valve been part of your system. Maybe it is installed incorrectly or defective. Thanks!

The valve can be mounted either vertically or horizontally. It is installed in the correct orientation as well. It is mounted after the pump/filter/heat pump but before the solar heater and chlorinator, which I would assume is the correct placement for it. I purchased this house in July, and the valve has been in place since then.

Thanks guys.

I talked to Flo Control today and they think the valve is working correctly. They suggested a vacuum may be being created on the solar panel side when it's trying to drain. The funny thing is I just replaced the valve on the solar panel last week because the old one was leaking a tiny bit around the seal, and the current problem was also present with the old valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is that check valve on your main circulation circuit? (i.e. always open when filtering, closed when filter pump is off?)

How big is the solar system and how is it turned on and off? Booster pump or actuated valve?

As mentioned, you can solve the issue by adding a check valve on the solar input line.

The images were quiet helpful
IMHO
I would fit a spring non return valves on the flow to the solar panels to hold them full of water when shut down and repipe the solar return to after the chlorinator
When the return is draining to the pool, it is pulling water from the heater flow causing the flap to flap back and forwards
You would have to make provision for winterising the panels

Great news. I'm having a SWG installed tomorrow and the tech came out to evaluate my system pre-install today. I asked him if he had a spring check valve to replace mine and he did. It seems to have solved the problem. As for winterizing, I live in Florida, so no worries! :D

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.