Plaster disaster

bethalito

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2010
Oregon
Just received bad news about my pool. First the humorous part. While closing, I forgot to close the valves and inadvertently drained the pool. Gulp. 27k gallons of water gone overnight. But, since it was empty, I took the time to walk around and look at things normally underwater. The walls had a brocaded look to them which I don't think pool walls should have and there was a rust spot that appeared about mid summer that I was concerned about & knew it would have to be dealt with. Calling around to pool repair services, the first guy asked for photos. I sent attached photos to him. When he returned my call, it was not good news. He says the plaster finish is gone exposing the gunite. The rust spot is exposing the re-bar.
Now for the really fun part. To replace the plaster he said the gunite has to be removed, new gunite applied & finally, the new plaster. Approximate cost: $19000. Ouch.
He says plastering is an art. He doesn't do it, subs it out.
The next is to paint the sides, which he doesn't do because of the possibility of failure & he doesn't want the liability. He said there are 3 levels of paint. The one he recommends is $300.00 a gallon & our pool would most likely use 8 gallons. Approximate cost: $2400. + labor. He says the paint can last a long time (10-15 years) if the gunite is not totally compromised.
I am definitely leaning towards the paint or turning it into a giant greenhouse.

I have attached the photos.

Also, I asked him if I needed to get all the chem levels correct before closing since it is new water. He said no, just make sure the PH is good/7.5/7.6.

Your comments, ideas, suggestions, condolences, please.

Pool background: Built in 1995. 17x35. 27k gal. Hayward sand filter.

Attachments

• pool rust.jpg
    pool rust.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 169
  • pool wall2.jpg
    pool wall2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 171
  • pool wall.jpg
    pool wall.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 166
Sorry, but you're getting your leg pulled (or your wallet!). Your gunite most certainly DOES NOT have to be redone! The fix for the spots where the rebar is exposed is to dig out the gunite a bit, cut the rebar back, possible epoxy coat the rebar and then patch the gunite to cover the rebar again. [EDIT] You would also need to replaster [END-EDIT] but that most certainly does not require $19,000.

Paint is a really BAD IDEA. At best, you'll get 3 years out of it. Unless he's absolutely willing to guarantee his statement that it will last 10-15 years, then don't believe it. Pool paint eventually hardens and then chips away or falls off. We see it all the time with painted pools - the paint starts to deteriorate and crumble leaving paint dust in the pool water.

I have been recommending people with replastering needs look at this product - Plaster and Aquabright Comparison . And a TFP member that used it - ecoFINISH aquaBRIGHT longterm review . It would be perfect for your situation. It is a flame-sprayed thermoplastic polymer that forms a thin layer (1/16"-1/4" thick) right over the surface of your existing old plaster and provides a chemically inert surface with all the strength of the plaster/gunite below it. The textures and colors available are amazing and I am definitely considering it when I get close to my remodel time. See if there are any applicators in your area and, if not, PM bdavis466 on this forum as he is the go-to guy for all technical info regarding this product.

Thanks! That is heartening. I do plan on talking to other folks & I will look into this finish.

How about chemical balancing? Should I go thru the whole process or just be concerned with the PH level?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, the grayish stuff is the gunite. The white spots are what is left of the plaster finish.

There is no gunite showing in those pictures. It is just old plaster that has discolored and aged over time.
The rust spots can fixed and removed and patched as described above by Matt. Replastering is not necessarily needed unless you want new smooth plaster, and a patch job not showing.

Good point! As long as the plaster is holding water then no real need to replaster right away. Everything going on is cosmetic. Except the rust, that needs to be addressed sooner than later.

My first pool was painted (previous owner) and every time I brushed there would be paint particle dust in the water.
It never went away completely.
And every time I backwashed the sight glass was white!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.