Deciding between PebbleTec vs Glass Tile Negative Edge Wall

Jul 12, 2016
San Antonio TX
My PB is telling me water hugs PebbleTec better as it flows over the Negative Edge versus using a glass tile. While our land is not super windy, we do tend to get a decent breeze more often than not. Has anyone had to make a similar decision and if so, what were factors that went into it? PB is saying we'll have to continually top off the pool. Thanks for any insight.

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds logical but I would rather not have plaster exposed to the air, so would pick tile based on that. Yes, your evaporation will be high and your pH will be high too. Aeration raises PH, so you will likely have to add muriatic acid every few days. Especially with new plaster.

Another consideration is calcium scale. People who have done pools with no water line tile and pebbletec all the way up to the coping, or beach-entry style pools, invariable regret it because a white scale line develops on the plaster and it's very hard to clean scale off pebble plaster.

Whatever you use make sure you waterproof first on both sides of the edge wall. Have witnessed over and over again the edge and back wall bleeding efforesence. If the edge is dead level and the proper flow is achieved, the water should flow over with minimal disturbance.

If you are against using tile your options are very limited. Using any sort of plaster in an area that isn't completely submerged is going to lead to failure of the product.

The picture above is AquaBright which is a plaster alternative that is impervious to the wet/dry issues of plaster. It is completely waterproof so using it on your infinity wall, or entire pool for that matter, will not cause any issues and will yield a uniform surface.

I believe you have several installers near you.

http://www.ecopoolfinish.com

Another consideration is calcium scale. People who have done pools with no water line tile and pebbletec all the way up to the coping, or beach-entry style pools, invariable regret it because a white scale line develops on the plaster and it's very hard to clean scale off pebble plaster.

This is exactly what I did in my first pool build 10-15 years ago... and this is right on... I fought this all the time, and ultimately, glass bead cleaning is only solution... I had beach entry and pebbletec

I wish we had an aquabright installer in Vegas, I would have gone that way... but definitely went plaster/tile this last time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.