Does my closing process sound right? (Plus, what is this piece of hardware?)

Sep 13, 2016
Waterville, ME
New pool owner here - it came with my new house. It's getting colder up here in Maine, and the water temperature is below 60. Time to close up the pool, but I'd really appreciate feedback to see if I'm following the right plan. This is an above ground pool with a very simple setup. I only have one skimmer, which goes straight to a pump, which connects to the filter, which leads to a third unit (chlorinator??), and finally back into the pool. Steps I'm planning to take, in this order, are:

• Vacuum/clean pool as much as possible
  • Remove skimmer basket and wall fittings/jet eyeball
  • Lower water 12-18" below skimmer by siphon
  • Adjust pH (7.2 - 7.6)
  • Adjust alkalinity (80 - 120ppm)
  • Do I need to bring up chlorine to 1-3ppm??
  • Drain pump, DE filter (with a flush), and third unit (see below)
  • Blow out lines with shopvac
  • Should I do any maintenance/upkeep on the pump or filter??
  • Clean pool if still needed
  • Do I need to add algaecide??
  • Leave mesh cover over the pool; remove before ice forms

Additionally, I've got this third unit which is downstream of the filter.
IMG_20161005_175128982.jpg I'm guessing this is an automatic chlorinator? What would I need to do to get this ready for winter?

Thank you!!

I think you have this all figured out! The things I would add or do if it was me, is bring your water up to shock level, remove drain plug on filter, remove and store pump inside where it doesn't freeze. Leave cover on all winter. Remove drain screw in chlorinator. ( Something to consider)That cover needs to be supported by ice once you get a hard freeze and snow load. Be careful how much water you remove and how it's attached to the pool. You may need to leave some slack somewhere.

That is a chlorinator, you put the 3" tabs in there. The same tabs that builds up your cya.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.