Buying a used Dolphin M4 - what to look for

3-Fan

Oct 9, 2013
Central Ohio
We've been in the market for a robot cleaner. We've never used one before. Stumbled across one on our local Craigslist that has sparked my interest. It is a Dolphin M4 that has been used about 5 times according to the owner. He bought it new 4 years ago. It's always been stored inside and is in "like new" condition. He is asking $475. Does anyone have any input on what to look for when I go kick the tires on this unit? Is this a fair price? Something better out there?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!

We've been in the market for a robot cleaner. We've never used one before. Stumbled across one on our local Craigslist that has sparked my interest. It is a Dolphin M4 that has been used about 5 times according to the owner. He bought it new 4 years ago. It's always been stored inside and is in "like new" condition. He is asking $475. Does anyone have any input on what to look for when I go kick the tires on this unit? Is this a fair price? Something better out there?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Things that can go wrong:

Improper storage can damage the rollers. Not a deal-killer but something to be aware of. If it's not stored on an appropriate caddy and simply sitting on the ground then the brushes/rollers could be flattened to the point of ineffectiveness. They can also become brittle (or less flexible) if stored in a hot location for an extended period.

The other problem is the power supply. These can go bad depending on how old they are. The downside is that the failures aren's isolated to not turning on/off. The unit may well turn on but then die unexpectedly mid-cycle. These kinds of problems aren't noticeable unless you give it a full test drive.

On the bright side, replacing brushes/rollers/treads won't break the bank. But you may not be that happy buying a $200 replacement power supply.

Robotic Replacement Parts - Maytronics Supreme M4 | Marina Pool Spa & Patio

Odd that he has a $1,000 (when new) robot that he only used a few times 4 years ago and is only selling it now. My vote would be to wait for a sale on something like the Doheny-branded Dolphin S200 with a full warranty. But that's just me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.