New guy here from Huntsville Alabama

Oct 19, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Hey everyone. My wife and I purchased a home over the summer that came with the pool in my signature below. This is our first in ground so we are trying to learn all that we can. Admittedly aside from having a fairly new liner the pool has been a chore so far. We are still learning how to work the chemistry correctly (pool store sold us on all their chemicals the first go around, but we will be using the methods here going forward next year. We likely didn't balance the chemicals correctly this season as we were using an old test kit that the homeowner left and trying to figure out the proper ratios in which to add the chemicals but we are learning. We kept clear water that was fine for swimming in the meantime.

So far we are suffering from a leaking multiport valve (needs to be replaced next spring) and some harsh yellowish brown stains on the fiberglass steps, and a crack in the slide but we did get to enjoy the pool for two months before winterizing it. We are removing the heater next spring (doesn't work and we don't need it) and adding a pump timer. We look forward to next season and to learn all that we can here.

Hey there Nlambert! Welcome to TFP :handwave: Glad you found us!

Which chemicals did the pool store start you out on- chlorine or bacqua?

If you haven't already closed your pool down, I would say it's pretty optional down your way.

Yippee :flower:

I know they're all Bioguard brand that Anders Pool and Spa sells (they did all the previous pool maintenance for the old homeowner).

We took a water sample to the store and they had us buy (I don't remember the exact specifics for the first treatment they had us perform):

Bioguard Basic 3" chlorinating tablets (told me to keep 3 in the strainer baskets and replace when almost dissolved)
Bioguard Smart Shock (was told to use 3 scoops weekly)
Bioguard Optimizer Plus algae preventer (Believe it's 6 oz every other week)
Bioguard Lo' N Slo' (Told to use on our initial treatment of the water)
Sodium Bicarbonate (50 lb bag) Told to add about 4 lbs every other week or as needed

Using the old test kit, we never could seem to get the balance just right. We were able to keep the chlorine readings within range but struggled with the alkalinity and PH. PH hovered around 6.8 most of the time and Alkalinity bounced between 180-240 most of the time. Part of that is our lack of understanding behind the chemistry and understanding what to use and when to use it. We hope to learn a lot over the winter so that next spring it becomes much easier.

As for closing, we finally closed up last weekend. We have a lot of oak trees and have been bombarded with leaves and acorns in the pool so we had to cover it. I ended up using one of the Leslie's pools winterizing chemical kits and then draining it down below the return lines and clearing the plumbing with air and then pulling all the drain plugs. We then covered the pool with our safety cover.

The biggest thing you'll learn is, no more pool $tore! :) They really don't know what they are doing as you have discovered. TFPC is all about reliable testing and putting in your pool, only what it needs.
For the testing you will want to purchase either a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net or a K-2006C. The TF has more of the tests the you will be performing on a regular basis go is the better deal.

The other thing you will need to be familiar with is Pool Math which is at the top of every page.

You want to start at the beginning so I would say start here: Pool School - TFP Home Page

Ask questions!!

- - - Updated - - -

There really isn't a reason for you to have to close your pool. I remember how warm it is in Huntsville (I'm from Madison/Decatur area) and all you really need to do is run pump on the 2 or 3 cold nights in January.

For the leaves and stuff you could just pick up a mesh tarp and put in on for the month or so of leaf fall.

But that's completely up to you :)

Bob,

Thanks for the info! I may hold off on closing our pool next winter. :) It was a lot of work that I probably didn't need to do. Would it still be beneficial to install the safety cover since it will allow water through but not debris? Also, I assume that would mean that I would need to maintain chemicals year round if open, correct? I kind of enjoy these few months of no chemical costs (although I expect those costs to diminish now that we know not to use the pool store)

Yes on the safety cover. As far as chems, in the colder months, the FC use will drop and there is hardly anything that will need adjusting. Once you start with TFPC, you will wonder what to do with all the extra money. I would recommend becoming a supporter. There are different levels and you can get a cool badge and some %off discounts on test kit stuff.