Finish the pool now, or install liner in the Spring - Northeast - MA

cuppa

Aug 31, 2016
Duxbury, MA
Hello,

Thank you all for the great information. I have a pool that is currently under construction and I am going to hold off on the patio until spring, for settling etc. I am curious what the groups thoughts were on finishing the pool now, installing the liner with no patio, or waiting to install the liner after until the patio is done in the spring. Please let me know the pros and cons and what you would do or have done, first hand experience is appreciated.

I want to get things wrapped up, but have been told that it is such a pita to do the concrete patio with water the pool. We are planning on concrete with a cantilevered edge. The pools is concrete wall (Liner with Foam) with a poured concrete floor and lower walls. My concern is leaving this shell in the ground all winter without the with of the water on it.

Any deck guys out there that can comment on the ability to do the cantilevered edge on a liner pool.

Also Any recommendations for a stamped concrete contractor in MA

Pool 18 X 36 Concrete wall and concrete floor, with liner.
MA - South of Boston
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20161017_165414053.jpg
    IMG_20161017_165414053.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 114
wow...all great questions!

So I'm also in the northeast (pittsburgh) and about the start the install of our pool. But we are going forward with everything this fall. They will install the liner and fill with water to just below the skimmers. Throw some chemicals in and put the winter cover on. We are not hooking up the pump or other equipment and no water will enter the pipes this season.

We are also doing a concrete cantilever and large concrete pad around the pool. I had not considered waiting and I'm not sure why the settling would be different now than it would be in the spring?

Sorry I can't answer with any professional knowledge but I'll be standing bye with perked ears.

I'm not sure why the settling would be different now than it would be in the spring?
It's a function of time. disturbed earth continues to settle for moths and pouring concrete over disturbed earth is asking for a problem.

cuppa,

I think I would leave it. If you have made the floor out of concrete then the walls are locked into place, and you should've made the walls strong enough to hold back any pressure from the backfill.

It's a function of time. disturbed earth continues to settle for moths and pouring concrete over disturbed earth is asking for a problem.

cuppa,

I think I would leave it. If you have made the floor out of concrete then the walls are locked into place, and you should've made the walls strong enough to hold back any pressure from the backfill.

Don't most pool builders pour the concrete surrounds almost right away?

You have me a bit concerned now!

That said, my sidewalk, and driveway were recently poured on raised / disturbed earth and I don't have a problem with either...

veccster, If the back fill is non-compactable (like rock) then you are OK. If it is just disturbed earth under the concrete it is going to settle. whether the concrete settles with it depends on too many variables to list but it is not a good scenario.

We are planning on concrete with a cantilevered edge. The pools is concrete wall (Liner with Foam) with a poured concrete floor and lower walls.
I read this to mean 3000 psi concrete everywhere, tight? Floors and walls. If so, you are OK to leave it unfilled over the winter.

Thanks for the reply the floor without the pressure of the water over the winter is my concern, the pool floor is 4"-6" of concrete. I am worried about it with out the water weight for the winter.

I had a friend that had a pool completed last year and on one side of the pool the dirt settled 8" over the winter. I don't wan't to pour on top of that. However my back fill was all sand and crushed stone/sand. it compacted nicely in different lifts but on one end I am up 5' over original grade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are having our pool installed in the Spring time. We plan to do the pool and deck at the same time. I asked the hardscape company if we should be concerned about settling at all for the poured concrete patio and he said no, it's all in the preparation. They use a compactor to make sure everything is compacted before they pour the patio. If you don't do this, then yes there will be settling, but if it's prepped and installed correctly, there shouldn't be an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.