Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Apparently we changed out more water than I thought - CYA not registering on TFP test

1. Back To Top    #1

Apparently we changed out more water than I thought - CYA not registering on TFP test

FC 6.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 250
    Temp 76
    CYA Apparently 0, according to TFP test kit

Well, I guess we changed out more water during the hurricane rains than I thought. Recently, I have been adding more chlorine daily (2-2.5 ppm) to remain at my desired FC level of 6.5. That level was selected because my CYA level had been 60. With Hermine, we took out about 6" of water (which was refilled with rain) and with Matthew we took out about 8" of water (mostly re-filled by rain). I haven't measured CYA for probably 4-5 months since I use liquid chlorine.

Is there really some CYA remaining even though I am unable to make the black dot disappear? Should I attempt to add maybe 10 ppm and then re-check?

Note: I switched over to the TFP method about January 2016 and, after one SLAM, the pool has been perfect all summer. No issues with algae and the water has been sparkling. I used to get a major bloom every 3 months. No more!
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Apparently we changed out more water than I thought - CYA not registering on TFP

You could target 20ppm and see what happens after a week.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Apparently we changed out more water than I thought - CYA not registering on TFP

FPG,

You may have 20 ppm or so of CYA left if the solution gets a bit cloudy but doesn't obscure the dot.

Why don't you Calculate enough CYA to add exactly 30 ppm to your pool. Then, whatever test result you get will tell you how much more you need to get back to 60 ppm plus (if your interested) you can also resolve how much is currently in there.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    FPG,

You may have 20 ppm or so of CYA left if the solution gets a bit cloudy but doesn't obscure the dot.

Why don't you Calculate enough CYA to add exactly 30 ppm to your pool. Then, whatever test result you get will tell you how much more you need to get back to 60 ppm plus (if your interested) you can also resolve how much is currently in there.
    The mix was slightly cloudy. I mixed two batches because I thought I had done something wrong to get such a see-through result. I think I'll try to add 20 ppm and then move up slowly so I don't overshoot. I think 50-60 should work well based on the last 10 months.
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

5. Back To Top    #5

I put in 2 pounds (about 15 ppm, I think) of 100% CYA granules using the modified sock method. I put the granules in the sock, soaked the sock, and then moved around and around the pool to all the jets and squeezed out the sock. Do I need to run the pump for more than a few hours this evening to get the CYA fully dissolved and mixed up? Is 24 hours long enough to wait to check the CYA level?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the cya should show on the test 24 hours after it is dissolved. No need to run the pump more than normal tonight.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yes, the cya should show on the test 24 hours after it is dissolved. No need to run the pump more than normal tonight.
    Thanks. You reminded me to go turn the pump off!

8. Back To Top    #8

FC 5.5
    pH 7.8
    CA 250
    TA 80
    CYA ~30
    H2O Temp 70 (brrrrr!)

I put in the 2 lbs of CYA about 2 weeks ago which was supposed to raise my 20k gallons by 12. I am now registering about 30 CYA (on the 20-side of the line) which means I was running about 18. The fact my CYA wasn't registering seems to be consistent with the level being at 18 prior to adding CYA.

This is much lower than my old 60 (which I inherited) but all seems to be well, at least for Fall/Winter. The top of my pool screen is a finer mesh than the sides to keep the pine needles from the neighbor's trees from embedding themselves. It also blocks out a lot of the sun's rays. I actually had no drop in FC from Sunday when I checked Monday morning and only a .5 drop this morning. Both Sunday and Monday were sunny days but, of course, our Florida sun is no longer blistering.

I added 45 minutes of wide-open hose water to the pool today (thank you low humidity, no rain and nice breeze!) so I think I'll add another pound of CYA which would put me about 35 (which is considered 40?).

I'll test in a few days and determine my new level.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, sounds good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

FC 6.0
    pH 7.5
    TA 80
    Ca 300 (increased from 250 as we add water from the hose)
    CYA 40

I measured everything today and confirmed the CYA is now 40. All good.